Food Central: Peppermint Foods

Photo made on Canva
Indulge in the minty world of peppermint products.

The winter season is full of sweet treats and delicious food overall with a lot of unique flavors and ingredients, one such flavor is peppermint. Peppermint flavored items are a staple during the Christmas and winter season, and find their way into various foods, desserts and drinks. If you’re unfamiliar with or hesitant to try the flavor, it can best be described as a minty sweetness different from traditional mint due to its candy like flavoring in texture, an odd description but one that can be agreed upon by all those who have tried anything peppermint related. Peppermint flavoring is like winter’s pumpkin spice and can be seen as a noteworthy flavor. 

Chobani, a popular and flavorful yogurt brand, has released a low-fat peppermint perfection flavored cup which is a low-fat vanilla Greek yogurt with dark chocolate cookies, peppermint, and dark chocolate chunks. The combination of those ingredients sound delicious and will get you in the winter mood. Chobani also makes coffee creamers and has released a peppermint mocha coffee creamer flavor, which sounds like a good addition to a nice cup of coffee. For those who prefer non-dairy coffee creamers, Nestle Coffee-mate has released an oat milk-based peppermint mocha creamer. Coffee creamers aren’t the only coffee-based peppermint product, as Starbucks sells peppermint mocha flavored coffee grounds and k-cups. 

Pepperidge Farm is also in the festive mood with their “Milano Slices Peppermint Cookies” which are cookies topped with peppermint chocolate and peppermint crushed candy on top, a sweet and unique treat for the winter. The cookies have a similar taste and texture to peppermint bark chocolate, which is a staple of holiday themed treats and are a minty, sweet goodness that everyone deserves to give a shot. 

The winter season is when the candy cane flavors begin to roll out, and a very tasty and unique flavor of candy cane is Hershey’s Chocolate Mint Flavored Candy Canes which technically isn’t peppermint flavored but is close enough in flavor to justify its place among the greats of peppermint flavored items.  

Peppermint products are common during the winter, but the winter season gives the perfect opportunity to bake, and one such baking idea that serves well with the flavors of winter are peppermint brownies which are brownies stuffed with peppermint chunks instead or peppermint chunks on top of a bed of chocolate. The flavor and texture combination of the rich chocolate brownies with the minty, crunchy peppermint pieces is a rollercoaster of good tastes for your tastebuds to enjoy.