46° New Rochelle, NY
The Student News Site of Iona University

The Ionian

The Ionian

The Ionian

Food Central: Valentine’s Special

For this issue of Food Central take a deep dive into Valentine’s Day treats.

February is a well-known month for Valentine’s Day, a wonderful day for many and not so wonderful for others. A persistent hallmark of Valentine’s Day is the foods and treats offered throughout the month of February and the red and pink color scheme they all fall under. 

February is a solid month for Dunkin Donuts as they offer a multitude of donuts to correspond with the month, they have strawberry frosted donuts with Valentine’s Day sprinkles, jelly filled heart donuts, their cupid’s choice donut, brownie batter donut and their new red velvet donut.

The red velvet donut matches well with their pink velvet macchiato, which is a sweet and tasty macchiato flavor, which is an enjoyable drink that is similar to cake batter mixed with white chocolate but is always worth a try to formulate your own opinion.  

Although not available solely during the month of February, chocolate covered fruits are a go-to for many during the typically 28-day month.

The combination of the rich chocolate with the natural sweetness of fruits such as strawberries, bananas or any fruit are a great treat or gift for loved ones this Valentines Day. Chocolate covered fruit are also a fun activity to do on Valentine’s Day and are simple to make only needing fruit and melted chocolate to create. 

Chocolates and candies are Valentines Day staples and for good reason, a good chocolate bar or piece of candy is ensured to hit the spot and on Valentines Day that notion is amplified.

There are many choices for chocolates, but an iconic chocolate often gifted during the Valentines season is Ferrero Rocher chocolates which are hazelnuts dipped in smooth milk chocolate surrounded by wafers and hazelnut pieces wrapped in a golden wrapper and are a delicious treat and a great but addictive snack.

A classic Valentines Day treat is candy hearts which come from many different brands such as Brachs and Sweethearts and are delicious hard candies (a personal favorite of my girlfriend’s) with printing on them related to Valentine’s days such as “Be Mine” among other printings. They have a unique flavoring and are admittedly an acquired taste, but are easy to enjoy once you dig in.  

Regardless of what is enjoyed during the month of February ensure that you make the most of the day with those you love in mind, whether it is a significant other, a friend or a family member, Valentines Day isn’t just a holiday for couples, it’s a holiday to remind everyone to appreciate those we love in any sense of the word.