Indoor Track back in action after month-long layoff

Photo courtesy of IonaGaels.com
Coles 3000-meter time was 58th fastest overall.

The Iona University men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams participated in six combined meets to begin the 2023-24 season.  

Just prior to winter break, from Dec. 1-2, both teams played on back-to-back days, competing in the Rutgers Holiday Classic and the Sharon Colyear-Danville Season Opener.  

Starting with the men, freshman, Miguel Gonzalez made his Iona debut in the 400-meter run, finishing in sixth place. Gonzalez was the only Gael to participate in the 11-person race, sporting a time of 54.17.  

Junior Jordan Providence had a solid showing in the 300-meter event, posting a 35.26 time in eighth place. Sophomore Jiles Addison was not far behind, in 12th, while freshmen, Jevon Bolt and Evan Gralitzer made their collegiate debuts.  

On the women’s team, two of the three Gaels racing in the 1,000-meter finished in respective second and third place spots. Rookie Lily Overton’s 3:03.90 time was good enough for a silver medal effort and junior Katie Menard followed in 3:04.65. Cosmina Spiridon rounded out the field, chalking up a 3:06.78 time.  

Further top competitors for the Gaels were junior Jamie Gudyka, who snagged a sixth-place position in the 400-meter run, and Tonian Fullerton, who managed a 4.84m distance in the long jump.  

Iona’s program then traveled to Boston, M.A., for their second match of the indoor track campaign.  

Three Gaels from the men’s team ran in the 3,000-meter, including red shirt freshman Tristan Coles, whose 8:13.83 effort made him the Maroon and Gold’s top performer. Coles’ strong day was capped off by a fifth place run in the final heat.  

As for the men’s 5,000-meter, junior Damien Dilcher had a time of 13:55.44, placing him 75th overall.  

Sophomore Holly Smith and junior Madison Klein were the lone Gaels from the women’s squad to make the Boston trip. Both runners scored their own personal best indoor times for their careers, despite their positions in 99th and 129th place.  

Spiridon led the way at the Ramapo College Opener on Jan. 20, having won the 3,000-meter in 10:29.50, five seconds ahead of any other competitor.  

Smith similarly excelled, running for 5:03.17 in the mile run, cutting off six seconds from her personal best set last year.  

Senior Jadyn Tabois took charge for the men, scoring a first-place spot in the 400-meter (49.41, a career-best) and leading Iona in top-four finishes.  

Fellow senior Nick Soldevere landed second in the 800-meter, a mere half second behind the University of Maryland, Baltimore County winner. Coles and sophomore Aiden Coles rounded out the top-10 in fourth and fifth.  

Iona’s indoor track program will next travel to the Armory Track & Field Center for the Dr. Sander Columbia Challenge from Jan. 26-27.