Four Gaels post personal-best times at BU invitational

El-Sandali+recorded+the+tenth+best+5k+time+in+the+NCAA+at+BU.++

Photo courtesy of icgaels.com

El-Sandali recorded the tenth best 5k time in the NCAA at BU.

Jordan Score, Staff Writer

The Iona indoor track and field team traveled to Boston to compete in the BU Last Chance Meet on Feb. 27.  

Graduate students Mael Gouyette and Ehab El-Sandali, along with senior runner Jamie Dee were the three competitors for the men’s side. Graduate students Gemma Nuttall and Sophie Murphy filled the two women’s team spots at the meet.    

Gouyette became the first Gael this season to run a sub-4-minute mile, posting a time of 3:59.89, which was his personal best. This time ranks number seven among competitors in the Northeast this season. Gouyette placed fifteenth overall at this meet.  

El-Sandali placed second in the 5k event with a personal best time of 13:25.01. This was the tenth fastest time in the NCAA this season as well as the fastest among runners in the Northeast region.  

Dee ran a personal best time at this meet as well with a time of 7:54.87 in the 3,000-meter run. This finish was the second fastest Iona time this season. This time was the eighth fastest in the Northeast. Dee became the fifth Gael this season to run a sub-8-minute 3k.  

Nuttall finished ninth in the women’s mile with a time of 4:47.97. Murphy posted a personal best with a score of 9:29.62 in the women’s 3k, finishing tenth. This was the twenty-second fastest time in the Northeast this season.   

The BU Last Chance Meet was the first meet since the MAAC Championships where the Gaels finished third of eight. This meet marks their eighth of the season. The Gaels will get set to compete next in the IC4A championships which will take place on March 5 and March 6 in Boston Massachusetts. Following the IC4A championships will be the NCAA Championships which will take place on March 11 as well as March 12 in Birmingham, Alabama.