Decade rewind: the most iconic trends of the 2010s

The smartphone put so much information at our fingertips, from streaming services to social media to navigation systems, and it has now become a staple in most everybodys everyday lives.

PHOTO FROM @BRINGITBACK2003 INSTAGRAM

The smartphone put so much information at our fingertips, from streaming services to social media to navigation systems, and it has now become a staple in most everybody’s everyday lives.

Kasey Campbell, Staff Writer

As the decade comes to a close, many are taking the time to reflect on the most iconic or memorable moments of the 2010s. This decade served as a crucial time for college-aged kids, as they all grew up during the era. Between the fashion, music, television and the rise of social media, there is much to feel nostalgic about as the 2010s come to a close.

Perhaps some of the most iconic and influential moments of the 2010s had to do with fashion trends. The most defining fashion trends of the decade included chunky sneakers and shoes, monochromatic outfits, faux fur and the reemergence of high-waisted jeans and choker necklaces. Although many of these trends were short-lived, some will continue into the 2020s.

A monumental event of the 2010s was the decline of cellphones with buttons, leading to the smartphone revolution. Many millennials have probably owned a flip phone at some point in their lives, or one with a physical keyboard, but with the increasing advancements of smartphone technology, the need for flip phones became virtually non-existent. The smartphone puts much more information at our fingertips, from streaming services to social media to navigation systems, and it has now become a staple in almost everybody’s everyday lives.

One of the most monumental and ever-changing trends of the 2010s was the power of makeup. The rise of internet beauty gurus such as James Charles and Jeffree Star on social media platforms boomed the makeup industry by millions of dollars. Additionally, various makeup techniques had reformed from the start of the decade to the end. In the early 2010s, the appearance of thin and tweezed eyebrows seemed to be all the rage, but towards the end the full and bushy brow look was what many men and women aimed for. Additionally, the introduction of the Beauty Blender, a makeup sponge used to blend one’s complexion, changed the way that people created a flawless finish to their makeup look.

In terms of the many music trends of the 2010s, the hype of dubstep, was traced to 2012, as the electronic beats were all the rage for rave-goers and non-rave-goers alike. Additionally, in this age of nostalgia, the resurgence of many popular groups created various iconic moments for the 2010 decade. The Backstreet Boys started making music again this decade, and the Jonas Brothers made their big reunion debut in 2019. Not to mention the boyband trend seemed to resurface in the 2010s as major names such as One Direction and BTS drew out millions of screaming fans with their music.

One of the most defining trends of the 2010s was the boom of social media sites. Created in 2010, Instagram became a huge staple for people who wanted to share their photos and videos with the world. In fact, people who call themselves “influencers” can actually make a living from having a large following on Instagram. Additionally the six-second, video-sharing app Vine, which was created in 2012, was a popular platform for online comedy content. The app was discontinued in 2017, but many who lived through the 2010s still reference many of the videos created on the app. In 2017 TikTok, a similar video-sharing app, launched and many ex-Vine stars have taken to the new platform with an evolved sense of comedy.

The 2010s is perhaps the formative period of now college-age students, with trends and iconic moments that many will forever know and love. Some trends came and went, but some will continue to grow into the 2020 decade.