Love Gaels: The love of a grandfather

Photo made in Canva
For this issue’s “Love, Gaels” column, Editor-in-Chief Luis Lopez writes about the love for a grandfather.

As a child and into adulthood I grew up around my family and although each member of my family had their own impact on my life but one person that has had a strong impact on my upbringing and my ongoing life has been my grandpa who I call “Apa.”  

Apa is the father of my mother and has been a positive and motivating person in my life ever since I can remember. As I reflect on my educational journey, I can recall many moments with him just being a reliable source of advice, positivity and comfort. When I was younger and ever felt down about something I could give him a call or swing by his house to pay him a visit and it would lift my spirits in a heartbeat. 

A specific memory I can recall and look back on fondly is my first semester on campus here at Iona, I didn’t have any friends so I would often sit alone while eating lunch, but to rid myself of that lonely feeling I’d give my grandpa a call and we would spend however many hours I had in between classes just talking about our days and random topics of conversation. It is important to have someone you can count on for an enjoyable conversation whether it’s a five second- or five-minute conversation they always are just what is needed, and I appreciate my grandpa for providing me with that throughout college.  

We can all recount moments of feeling low or demotivated and whenever I needed a boost in morale my grandpa always knew what to say, and he always reassured me that I was on the right track whenever I was unsure of my decisions or choices. The guidance of a positive figure in one’s life is a powerful one and we can all reflect on the impact that person has had on us, so ensure that they know they are loved and appreciated. Apa has been a consistent supporter of all my passion projects and always reassured me of his pride in anything and everything I did and will do, listening to every radio show, or reading every article I write meant the world to me and still does till this day. 

In a world filled with negativity and hardships having a positive light in the dark so consistent is important and I am forever thankful to have my Apa in my life. All throughout college an iconic quote of his always rang true in my mind whenever I would feel overwhelmed by the busy schedule I had during each semester  

“When you’re busy it’s good because it keeps you out of trouble and on the right track.”