Love Gaels: My love of writing

Ever since I was a kid around the age of 8 or 9 years old, I had a strong passion for writing, I would write fictional stories in composition notebooks to practice my story telling abilities, and since then I molded and improved my writing ideas, and storytelling abilities to what they are today.  

My writing was largely focused on book writing, but changed into more article-based writing as I went into high school. I tightened my focus onto article-based writing as I began writing for my high school paper, and that passion lit a fire in me to pursue a career in journalism and use my skills to express my voice. 

The shift from book-based writing to article-based writing came from an epiphany I had during high school when I was deciding on what career I’d like to take for my college journey and realized that becoming an author would be a great idea, but more so a backburner career path to make way for my main focus of journalism. I still one day hope to be an author but would prefer to keep my writing skills article, and journalism based, and pick up book writing later down the line, those ideas and storylines never left my head and I hope to one day revisit them.  

My passion for journalism stems from my ideological outlook on the media outlet because I see it as the ideal platform for self-expression, I’m no stranger to public speaking and expressing my voice through verbal communication but reflecting on the times where I was too nervous to express myself verbally, I always found comfort in writing what I was feeling.

As I grew to learn more about the field of journalism, I realized the versatility of the medium and grew to appreciate it more, the joy of writing about something one enjoys is unremarkable, and I get a lot of enjoyment from writing about my passions in the same way I did when I’d write stories in composition notebooks. 

Journalistic writing helped me become a comfortable writer and helped me tremendously during my college career, making essays a breeze and editing second nature. I was able to learn many skills as a student of journalism and appreciate and value each and every one of them, they have all played a part in shaping who I am today, as a person and as a writer, I have no intention of slowing down my writing and aim to write out and express my voice in any subject matter and platform out there.