WSOC searches for offense as MAAC play begins

Photo courtesy of ionagaels.com
Junior Myla Rodrigues has two points on the year, tying her for first place on Iona’s roster.

The Iona University women’s soccer team started its 2023 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference schedule with a matchup against Mount St. Mary’s University on Sept. 9. 

The Gaels held a 1-5 record heading into the matinee game at Waldron Family Stadium, with their lone victory coming over Le Moyne College during their home opener on Aug. 24. 

Iona outplayed Mount St. Mary’s in the shooting department, holding a 15-14 shot advantage by the end of the contest. 

Junior Myla Rodrigues tallied the Gaels’ sole goal on the day, heading in senior Kate McNally’s corner kick attempt in the 38th minute. 

The Mountaineers would ultimately find the back of the net with less than 10 minutes to spare in the game, as Madison Bee scored a feed from Luisangely Navas. 

Iona’s freshman goalkeeper Savannah Rogers was excellent despite the late blemish, making seven saves, four more than her Mount St. Mary’s counterpart. 

The Gaels followed up the 1-1 draw with an away game against Dartmouth College four days later. 

Junior Caroline Scott and Rogers split time in net for head coach Todd Plourde’s squad, allowing the Big Green to score twice in each half. Scott stopped four Dartmouth attempts in the first half, while Rogers made three saves of her own in the second. 

Three of Iona’s recent offseason additions, rookies Lauren Sonski, Marissa Graziano and Payton Foster, came off the bench and recorded their first career collegiate statistics with two shots each. 

Dartmouth’s 22-10 overall shot advantage,11-3 on net, was too much for Iona to overcome as they lost 4-0. 

The Maroon and Gold finally hosted their first home MAAC contest versus Niagara University on Sept. 17. 

Kicking off at 1 p.m., Iona held possession of the ball for 60% of the game, but failed to capitalize on their nine shot attempts. Four of them came from senior Samantha Hogan, who registered two goals on nine shots in 2022. 

Niagara’s Emma Bough broke the scoreless spell in the 73rd minute, taking in a rebound off teammate Isabella Mazzaferro’s attempt. This was the lone score allowed by Rogers, who made six saves in the 1-0 loss. 

The Gaels, now with their MAAC home opener behind them, begin a three-game road stretch on Thursday, Sept. 21 to cap off the month of September. A matchup scheduled against Manhattan College will bring things back to Mazzella Field on Oct. 4.