Women’s soccer begins its season with slow start

Photo courtesy of ionagaels.com
Junior Kedarjah Lewis leads Iona in goals for the second straight year.

The Iona Gaels’ women’s soccer team accumulated a record of 1-5 in non-conference action to start the season. 

The Gaels started their season on the road against Providence, which saw them lose 2-0 on Aug. 17. In the loss, the team took two compared to their opponents’ 23. Junior and freshman goalkeepers Caroline Scott and Savannah Rogers combined for nine saves on the day.  

The Gaels would lose 8-0 on Aug. 20 against Purdue after losing to Providence. There was a disparity in shots like the first game. Graduate Samantha Hogan and freshman Victoria Ryan took a pair of attempts each, with Hogan recording one shot on goal. Scott and Rogers split time in the goal and combined for three saves. 

The Maroon and Gold rallied in their 2023 home opener at Mazzella Field against Le Moyne, which saw the Gaels win their first game of the season behind a goal from Kedarjah Lewis, with the assist from senior Kate McNally, who would score to propel the team to victory with under 20 seconds in the game.  

Le Moyne’s best scoring opportunity ended up in the hands of freshman goalkeeper Rogers, who made another save and recorded her first shutout and win of her collegiate career. Iona had a 9-5 advantage in shot attempts due to their calculated play, which led to the team’s success. 

The Gaels then faced No. 18 Texas on the road, which resulted in a 6-0 loss on Aug. 27. Each team was scoreless until the Longhorns’ six made goals in the second half. Five members of the Maroon and Gold attempted shots compared to Texas’ 35, with graduate forward Sofia Giamanco recording the only shot on goal. Rogers made 12 saves in the first 68 minutes and Scott made two closer to the end. 

Returning home, the Gaels fell to Wagner, 1-0. Both teams were scoreless in a defensive bout in the first half until the game’s sole goal in the 51st minute by the visitors. Iona had the 9-5 shot advantage, with seven different Gaels recording an attempt. Senior Kayla Thomas had a team-high three shots, with the lone, on-target shot for the Maroon & Gold deflected. Freshman goalkeeper Rogers would play the entire contest and register two saves. 

In their most recent contest on Sept. 3, the Gaels lost to Wake Forest on the road, 6-0. The home team scored their goals in both halves and had a shot advantage over the Gaels. Junior Myla Rodrigues recorded the one-shot attempt of the game, and Scott registered 15 saves in the contest. 

The Gaels look to change their destiny this season after missing last season’s Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament and are currently ranked number six in the MAAC women’s soccer preseason poll, which would place them as the last seed in the postseason. MAAC conference play for the Gaels begins on Sept. 9 against Mount St. Mary’s at Waldron Family Stadium.