Win streak helps MSOC keep flawless MAAC record

Photo courtesy of ionagaels.com
Nacho Alfaro Monge has allowed six goals in six games, chalking up a 1.00 GAA.

The Iona University men’s soccer team owns a 4-2 overall record through the first six games of the 2023 season. 

The Gaels are riding high after winning three consecutive games since Sept. 16, all but erasing any memory of their underwhelming 1-2 start to kick off the campaign.  

Following a 1-0 loss to George Washington University on Sept. 2, Iona held their home opener against Bryant University on Sept. 9.  

A weather delay soon came into effect due to lightning in the area, ending the game after a scoreless 45 minutes.  

Since the two teams did not reach the 70-minute mark to be an official match, a date will have to be scheduled to resume the matinee affair.  

During the Maroon and Gold’s next game versus Niagara University, graduate student Camil Azzam Ruiz delivered a strike into the net in the 12th minute to give Iona a 1-0 lead. Sophomore Frederik Johnson Oee received a pass near the penalty area and sent a one-timer to Azzam Ruiz to assist on the play. 

Junior goaltender Nacho Alfaro Monge was flawless even after a two-week lull in the men’s soccer schedule, recording two saves in the shutout victory.  

The Gaels traveled to take on the New Jersey Institute of Technology at Lubetkin Field on Sept. 19.  

Sophomore Tom Fillaudeau placed a shot on the lower left side of the net to earn his first career goal and put Iona ahead 1-0 in the 15th minute. 

Freshman Jad Benjelloun also got on the board with a personal feat of his own, netting his first collegiate point due to an assist from senior Aly Camara in the 28th minute. Graduate student Matias Morales received a point too as the second assist on the play, bringing his total to a team-high three on the year.  

Iona’s defensive crew was impressive as ever, holding New Jersey Institute of Technology to a single shot across the first 60 minutes and keeping a 5-1 advantage overall.  

Iona defeated Canisius University, 4-1, nearly two weeks later during their first true home game at Mazzella Field.  

Graduate student Lans Bovenberg created some offense early on, finding Camara in the left corner. After settling, Camara passed to Morales, which allowed freshman Francesco Boria to score a tap-in goal.  

Camara then posted a score of his own moments later as he shot from 18 yards out into the center of the net.  

Azzam Ruiz came off the bench in the 32nd minute and added to the score immediately after receiving a one-timer from graduate Alessio Hernandez. His second goal started with a flick to himself and ended with a bicycle kick past the keeper.  

The Gaels will return to action in a rematch of the 2022 MAAC Championship Final at Mazzella Field against Quinnipiac University on Oct. 7.