A Gael’s guide to Galentine’s Day

Kasey Campbell Staff Writer

With Valentine’s Day coming up, many single ladies are left with no plans for a romantic evening with a significant other. Galentine’s Day culture allows women to have a day for themselves to celebrate with their gal pals. It’s a chance for girls to take a break and enjoy being with friends during the week of love. You don’t even have to be single to participate; spend Valentine’s Day with your significant other and then enjoy a weekend “Galentine’s Day” brunch with your friends!

The term “galentine” was coined by fictional character Leslie Knope on the television show “Parks and Recreation.” Since then, the holiday has spread like wildfire and ladies all over are taking part in this special day.

Many college students take part in Galentine’s Day to destress and relieve the pressure of having a special someone on Valentine’s Day. It is a great way to empower women and emphasizes independence. In fact, Galentine’s Day can be celebrated by anyone, not just ladies, as it is a holiday for bringing people together. What’s better than spending a day with your best friends and appreciating one another?

There are tons of things students can do to celebrate this special day in the New Rochelle area. Whether it is pampering yourself to a spa day or throwing a nice brunch for some guests, there are tons that students can do, even on a budget. Iona students have access to various restaurants in the area both on and off the meal plan. Going out to eat at one of these places is a way for friends to come together over a nice meal and simply enjoy each other’s company.

Another fun way to spend Galentine’s Day is to get a little crafty and channel your inner Bob Ross. A paint and sip is the perfect activity for friends to come together and create something special for one another. Getting in touch with your creative side and giving gifts to friends is a great way to show your affection for your friends. Things don’t need to be as extreme as Leslie Knope’s hand-crocheted flower pens, but showing appreciation is a great way to spend Galentine’s Day.

On a budget this Galentine’s Day? Save some money by hosting a good old-fashioned slumber party. Who doesn’t enjoy some face masks and venting about love lives? Romantic comedy movies, some sweet treats and maybe a massage train would all ensure a great girl’s night for Galentine’s Day. This is perfect for the typical broke college student because it can ensure that you and your gal pals can make your own fun!

A fun idea for ballin’ on a budget on Galentine’s Day is a DIY photo booth for some Instagram-worthy shots. This takes minimal effort and will give off the appearance of a glamorous night out but from the comfort of your own home. If you love taking pictures, you can get the perfect “dressed up with nowhere to go” shot for this Galentine’s Day. Foil and fringe backdrops, balloons, confetti and decorations will all create a super snazzy photo booth for you and your best pals!

Not celebrating Valentine’s Day this year doesn’t have to be sad, as Galentine’s Day is the up and coming wave. By taking these steps, you and your crew can have a perfect day for self-care and appreciation without the pressure of having a significant other!