Food Central: H-Mart

Supermarkets can be fun for a multitude of reasons, and the foods they offer are a big reasoning for people to go to specific supermarkets, a standout market among the rest is H Mart, an Americanized chain of Asian supermarkets with various restaurants and bakeries located inside to enjoy.  

The closest H Mart establishments to our campus are in Yonkers and Hartsdale, both are fantastic and worth the commute. The establishments are essentially identical, with the only difference being the Korean hotdog station located in Hartsdale which is a worthwhile stop. 

The food courts at H Mart vary by location but all tend to offer foods from various parts of the world like Japan, China and Korea. Each of their restaurants offer delicious foods, packed with a lot of flavor and hefty portion sizes as well as a reasonable price to every dish, I never find myself disappointed when it comes to H Mart food. 

The dishes at H Mart are great for lunch and have a variety of foods suitable for all types of people, they offer fried foods, steamed foods, spicy foods as well as fried chicken and Korean corn dogs.  The go-to meal for me at H mart is an order of Takoyaki which are fried squid balls drenched in delicious sauce and have a soft, chewy texture that make them a treat to eat.

I pair the Takoyaki with an order or fried pork cutlet with curry sauce and white rice. The pork cutlet is always fried and sliced to perfection and the flavor is always delicious and the texture is tender, the curry sauce adds a nice layer of thick, creamy curry that pairs well with the cutlet and rice. The rice is plain white rice but with the flavor of the curry and the cutlet the three components of the dish come together nicely.  

The fried chicken can be prepared in sauce, and it is a flavorful, delicious combination of ingredients, the sweet and spicy sauce offers a nice sweet, savory coating with a kick at the end to perfectly compliment the crunchy tender fried chicken.

The Korean corn dogs are a savory, crunchy treat filled with cheese or sausage, or both coated in a layer of batter topped with potatoes, dusted with sugar and is a flavor rollercoaster for your taste bud, but offer a great first-time experience, the sausage and cheese pair nicely as a tasty, hardy and cheese pair to contrast with the sweet crunchy layer of potatoes.  

H Mart is a must try for all those who haven’t, there is so much to see and enjoy in the supermarket and is the perfect place to spend some time after or between classes.