Outside Iona: Mar. 7

There are increasing reports of war crimes perpetrated by paramilitary forces in Sudan, UN experts say 

Adrian Vazquez    News Editor 

In an expert panel report to the United Nations Security Council (U.N. Security Council), there is documentation of widespread ethnic killings and rapes against African and Masalit communities by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in the Darfur region of Sudan. Conflict between the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and RSF broke out in April in the national capital, Khartoum. Over 6.8 million people are currently displaced by the conflict. Women and girls as young as 14 were raped by RSF elements in Geneina, the capital city of the West Darfur state. Between 10,000 and 15,000 people in Geneina alone were killed. 

Information from AP News, UN News, Reuters.  

UN experts: Sudan’s paramilitary forces carried out ethnic killings and rapes that may be war crimes | AP News 

Rights violations ripple across war-torn Sudan | UN News 

Sudan’s warring sides commit abuses, including strikes on fleeing civilians, UN report says | Reuters 

Mexico set to elect first female president in upcoming 2024 election 

Adrian Vazquez    News Editor 

The 2024 election in Mexico is the biggest in the nation’s history, according to the National Electoral Institute. Voters will choose the president, along with 628 seats in Congress and thousands of local positions – 20,000 positions in total. The first female president will also be elected in 2024. Leading presidential candidate Claudia Sheinbaum, seen as a continuation of outgoing populist leftist leader López Obrador and backed by his Morena party, has around 59% of the vote. Sheinbaum is a physicist and served as mayor of Mexico City. Senator Xóchitl Gálvez, a fierce critic of Obrador running under the Strength and Heart for Mexico coalition, trails behind with 36% of the vote. 

Information from AP News, PBS NewsHour, New York Times. 

Mexican Election 2024: Date, candidates, key issues | AP News 

Mexico almost certain to elect its first woman president as campaigning begins | PBS NewsHour 

Claudia Sheinbaum Is Turning Mexico’s Presidential Election Into a Blowout – The New York Times (nytimes.com) 

US appeals court ruling could permit mine development on Oak Flat, land sacred to Apaches 

Adrian Vazquez    News Editor 

A 6-5 decision from the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the lower court’s denial of preliminary injunction against a transfer of land for a copper mine. Rio Tinto has advocated for the Resolution Copper mine to be built on Oak Flat, Arizona, the world’s third-largest deposit of copper ore. While Rio highlights the potential for thousands of jobs to be created, Apache Stronghold argues the land transfer would violate its members’ rights under the free exercise clause of the First Amendment, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act and an 1852 treaty between the United States and the Apaches. “Today’s ruling targets the spiritual lifeblood of my people,” Apache Stronghold representative Wendsler Nosie said, “But it will not stop our struggle to save Oak Flat.” Apache Stronghold plans to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court. 

Information from AP News, Seattle Times, Reuters. 

A US appeals court ruling could allow mine development on Oak Flat, land sacred to Apaches | AP News 

A US appeals court ruling could allow mine development on Oak Flat, land sacred to Apaches | The Seattle Times 

In blow to Native Americans, US court approves land swap for Rio’s Arizona copper mine | Reuters