Pop-culture inspired Halloween costume ideas

PHOTO FROM MIISO.TV INSTAGRAM

There are many viral memes from the past year that can become a creative Halloween, such as SpongeBob.

Joseph Ferrer, Contributing Writer

As we near the end of 2019, we can look back and remember a lot of moments that were monumental this year. With Halloween fast approaching, what better way to celebrate the biggest moments of 2019 than with a trendy pop-culture Halloween costume?

If you want to dress up as a celebrity or popular personality, there are quite a few great choices to choose from. Keanu Reeves became even more of a lovable icon this year with his roles in “John Wick Chapter 3,” “Toy Story 4” and Netflix’s “Always Be My Maybe.” So if you have the long dark hair and the beard to match, Keanu Reeves would be the perfect fit. In the music scene, major stars this year included Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish and Lizzo, to name a few. All three have distinct styles that can be achieved with a long pony tail, baggy clothing or a flute, respectively. A fun musical duo costume idea can be Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus as “Old Town Road” was one of the biggest songs of the year.

If you want to get really creative, there are plenty of memes and viral sensations to base your costume on.

“You can be an alien that escaped from the Area 51 Raid or go as that one meme of SpongeBob where he wears a purple dress and has a purse,” suggests freshman Elizabeth Kiernan.

Freshman Zoe Tomlinson likes the idea of using a meme for your costume too.

“You could buy a brown egg costume and pretend that you’re the egg that beat Kylie Jenner’s record for having the most-liked post on Instagram,” Tomlinson said.

Another collaborative costume idea for a group could be to dress as Popeyes and Chick-fil-A employees in light of the massive debate as to which restaurant has the best chicken sandwich.

Superheroes have always been a popular choice for costumes, but there are even more to choose from with several large-scale comic book movies being released throughout this past year. “Avengers: Endgame” featured nearly every hero in the 23-film saga, so whether you want to dress as series mainstays, like Iron Man and Captain America, or newer heroes, such as Black Panther and Captain Marvel, any superhero is fair game for Halloween this year. If you’re a big Spider-Man fan, the animated hit “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” has great new characters to choose from, like Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen. Marvel isn’t the only source of superheroes as DC also has characters to choose from as well including Aquaman, Shazam and, if your feeling villainous, the Joker.

The options are really endless when you start thinking about all the viral moments and big pop culture icons we witnessed already this year. Start planning soon, Halloween will be here before you know it!