A warm welcomer…

Move-In Day probably felt like the first day of kindergarten to an Iona incoming freshman.  But there is one person who surely made the hesitant new Iona residential student feel at home – the RA.  While we’ve all heard the horror stories of RAs writing students up for being too loud during quiet hours, we’ve also heard the good stories.  RAs can become fantastic mentors, close friends, and provide students with fun activities and lifelong memories.  There is one particularly bubbly, upbeat, and inspiring RA who makes all her residents feel welcome in their new Iona homes and communities.  Meet: Meghan Murphy.

Where are you located on Iona’s Campus?

Conese! Fourth floor represent!

What interested you in becoming an RA?

What made me most interested in becoming RA was that it gave me a unique opportunity to help people.  Being an RA meant that I would be given the chance to affect young adults’ lives and college experiences in a positive manner. Furthermore, I was interested in the position because it offered me the opportunity to gain experiences that would make me grow and develop as a person.

What is your favorite part of the job?

There are so many rewarding aspects to my job.  Being part of an amazing staff, gaining leadership experience, enhancing my time management and organizational skills, decorating my own floor, the fun of inventing creative programs…the list really does go on and on. The best part, however, is bonding with my residents. I can whole-heartedly say that I love all my residents and knowing that they are comfortable enough to turn to me for advice, for help, for motivation or even just to talk, is the most gratifying aspect of my job.

What are some of your favorite hobbies/free-time activities?

When I have free time, which is rare, I enjoy hanging out with my family and friends, collecting quotes, catching up on my favorite TV shows, exploring the city, going out for coffee or to eat, listening to music, playing soccer, reading a good book and taking a whole lot of pictures.

Is there anything you’d like to say to the Iona residential community?

Take advantage of all Iona College has to offer. Make the most of each day! Get out there and meet people!