Gaels go Greek at new Ionian Grill and Cafe

There’s no doubt many Iona students have seen the Ionian Grill and Café on North Ave, but have any considered trying homemade Greek food? That’s right, homemade!

If you’re looking for good quality and fresh food, then you have to dine at the Ionian. The Gyro, vertically roasted minced beef and lamb with tomatoes, onions and tzatziki sauce (a Greek yogurt with dill, garlic and cucumber) is their best seller which can be served on either a wheat or regular pita.

If you aren’t a meat lover, you can still dine at the café. They offer wraps that contain no meat, as well as salads, and even offer vegan and vegetarian dishes. The Ionian salad, mesclun, a salad mix, topped with walnuts, craisins and balsamic vinaigrette would make anyone, meat lover or not, want to finish the lavish serving.

Polly Katchis, the owner’s daughter, has helped the café by giving healthy suggestions to add on to the menu and the Ionian expects only to add on more to satisfy any kind of customer.

Katchis does it all, from cooking to being a “delivery boy,” as she teasingly said. She makes it clear that she does not keep anything in her fridge passed two days and that everything is fresh.

People have commented on her Gyros, saying that she should have them premade, but she prefers to make them from scratch. Katchis also makes her own dips, which can be found on the “Cold Appetizers” section of the Ionian’s menu.

The taramosalata spread, which is a fish caviar spread, is delicious and airy, the hummus is a chick pea spread with tahini and leaves a bit of sweetness in your mouth, the melitzanosalata spread (a fan favorite) contains garlic and eggplant, roasted on the grill to give it a smoky flavor which is light and tastes fresh and finally, for all you spicy food lovers, the tirokafteri is a spicy feta cheese spread that’s fluffy and its flavor wakens up your taste buds.

Desserts are also homemade. When asked what is in their amazing Baklava (crushed almonds and walnuts with cinnamon, layered in flakey phyllo dough topped with honey), Katchis responded that she can tell anyone the recipe, but no one will make it like hers; it’s the love that goes in it that separates hers from the rest.

Christine Mortise, a sophomore at Iona, commented on the Ionian Grill. “I’m usually not a fan of gyros, but I got to admit this one’s pretty good,” she said.

Mortise also ate the baklava and expressed that “normally if I wanted dessert, I wouldn’t get this. I’d read the description and think ‘oh that’s nice,’ but I’m glad I went out of my comfort zone because this is hitting all the right spots.”

Katchis hopes to be on the meal card soon, and in the meantime is giving Iona students 10 percent off. The cost of her best-selling Gyro is $6.50, and when taking 10 percent off, a student can enjoy a full and satisfying meal for under $6.00.

So, Gaels, travel outside of your comfort zone, like Mortise, and try the amazing Greek food that’s just down the street!