Score big with your student ID

Molly Yetman Staff Writer

Student ID cards aren’t just for unlocking your dorm and purchasing food.

Loans, textbooks and living expenses have drained our bank accounts since the application process. However, student discounts can be easily accessed by presenting your card at the registers of many major retailers.

From clothing stores to Broadway shows to transportation, students are able to take advantage of their title to save a few bucks over the financially straining four years.

1. Broadway Shows:

Broadway shows usually average over $100 per ticket. However, using your student ID, you can see your favorite shows such as “Wicked,” “Phantom of the Opera” or “Matilda” for only $20-$40.

The Office of Student Development offers these tickets all the time with transportation included. Grab your roommates and have a night in the city to see your favorite show!

2. Clothing Stores:

Have any interviews coming up but don’t have anything to wear? Look stylish and professional by shopping at major retailers that offer students discounts. Banana Republic and J Crew offer a 15 percent student discount when you show your school ID at the register.

While Topshop offers a 10 percent discount and Anne Taylor offers a 20 percent off your purchase. Seniors should definitely take advantage to purchase work clothes before graduation.

3. Museums:

Some classes require us to visit museums to write papers or research for a project. Going to a museum doesn’t have to break the bank.

The Museum of Modern Art usually costs $25 at the door, but is only $14 for students, while the American Museum of Natural History’s entrance fee is $19 but, for students it’s only $14.50.

4. Basketball Games:

Not only do we get to see our Gaels play here at school for free, but the office of student development also provides tickets for a number of Madison Square Garden games with transportation included.

Recently, tickets were provided for only $15 to see the Duke vs. St. John’s, which out to be Coach Mike Krzyzewski’s 1,000th win.

5. Transportation:

Visiting friends or headed home for break? Greyhound buses offer a student advantage discount card that allows you to save 20 percent off your next ticket.

Amtrak at the New Rochelle train station provides students with a Student Advantage Discount Card which gives passengers a 10 percent discount on each trip.

If you are also an Amtrak Guest Rewards member you can also earn points each trip you take to earn one free trip.

As students, we are bombarded with bills, but it doesn’t mean we have to miss out on experiences and memories. Take advantage of your time as a student and do all the things you love.

This list isn’t a limit to the bonuses you can receive. Companies such as Amazon, Apple, AMC theaters, Verizon have also contributed towards supporting struggling students.

We are only students for a short period of time so it is important to take advantage of these experiences. Student discounts are easily available online and even more convenient with the Office of Student Development.