Is online shopping right for you?

When you’re stuck on a college campus and you don’t have a car, it can be difficult to get to a store. Therefore, if you have an event coming up that you need a new outfit for—or you just feel like treating yourself—online shopping is your best bet.

For shopper convenience, many stores have created apps to go along with their online stores to make it easier for people to add items to their carts when they have a free minute. Stores such as Forever21 and Target both have mobile apps which link up to your online accounts to make it easier for the user. Retailers also have begun making products exclusively available online instead of in-store to drum up interest in their websites.

In addition, some stores are exclusively online. Stores such as Etsy, Redbubble, Nasty Gal and Missguided have taken the wheel in online shopping. The websites have become more popular as people have less time to get to the brick and mortar store.

Etsy.com is famous for handmade or specialized products—it is essentially a marketplace for sellers to promote their specialty products. Think of it as a more expensive version of eBay. Many college students are drawn to it, despite the cost, because of the ability to personalize certain items. Products from Etsy can make great presents for the people in your life.

Redbubble.com is another commonly used site for students. Similar to Etsy, the site features products from individual designers and sellers. The company sells a wide range of items from t-shirts to mugs, but the biggest draw for college students has been the stickers the site sells. Individual sellers promote stickers based off shows and movies, states and sports teams. Consumers can buy whatever stickers they want from the site for a low price. Most college students use these stickers to decorate laptop covers, phone cases and desk accessories.

Pinterest also now has a feature where users can shop similar looks and objects that they have been pinning. However, it is wise to be cautious of these opportunities, as a retailer selling online that does not have a good reputation may give you a product that’s less than satisfactory. Websites such as SheIn.com, for example, have been given poor reviews for products that are not what they are advertised to be online. Consumers have had similar experiences through Amazon.com and clothing advertised on Instagram.

While online shopping can be a great option for students that don’t have the opportunity to get to the store, it is still wise to be cautious of online purchases. When you buy online, you don’t have the opportunity to try it on or test the quality of the material like you can in person. Consider the reputation of the retailer before making a purchase, and last but not least, do not forget shipping costs!