An A-Z guide to Iona College

Julia Fabrizio Staff Writer

is for alumni. Iona alumni are so much more than just people who have graduated from Iona College. They are people who will forever have Gael pride and promote Iona’s mission in their endeavors. Alumni are the past and the future all in one; they represent Iona’s history and what current Iona students have to look forward to.

B is for Beechmont Tavern. The popular eatery and pub right down the street from Iona is a hotspot for students. Whether it be grabbing a quick bite, enjoying dinner with friends, or going out for a drink on the weekends, every Iona student has been to Beechmont at least once!

C is for Catholic. Iona is a private Catholic college with a mission dedicated to service, justice, and spirituality.

“I express my faith through service,” sophomore Meghan[MA2]  Wright said. “Iona has a lot of service opportunities that I can participate in.”

The Office of Mission and Ministry, located on the second floor of the LaPenta Student Union, provides students with plenty of chances for worship and service.

D is for Division I athletics. Iona offers 21 NCAA Division I varsity sports, each of which provide an immense sense of community on campus not only for the athletes, but for all students.

E is for Edmund Rice. Iona College’s mission is inspired by the legacy of Blessed Edmund Rice and the Christian Brothers. Rice had dedicated his life to teaching the Christian tradition to poor children for free.

F is for friendships. Many Iona students find some of their best friends during their years at Iona College.

“Iona College gave me the opportunity to find my forever friends,” sophomore Marissa Sullivan said.

G is for Gael Nation. Iona students contain a sense of pride and community.

“Iona gives off a community vibe right when you step foot on campus,” sophomore Vashone DeVaughn said. “As a proud student who works in the athletic department assisting at sports games, I know firsthand how much school spirit Iona has, especially when we all come together to cheer on our Gaels.”

H is for home away from home. Iona offers a wide variety of on-campus living options that allow students to live independently.

“Iona is my home away from home because I get to live with my best friends that become like family and give you a sense of belonging,” sophomore Mikayla Cullen said.

is for internships. There is an innumerable amount of internship opportunities at Iona that are easily found through GAELlink and other resources.

J is for joining clubs.  Iona College offers many clubs and organizations that allow students to make friends and connections all while further pursuing their interests.

K is for our mascot, Killian the Gael. You can always catch Killian on campus when there is a big sports game going on.

L is for the LaPenta Student Union. LaPenta is a popular hangout on campus. Not only can you get some food, hang with friends or do homework, but as the home of many clubs and organizations on campus, you can also get involved.

M is for MAAC Champs. The Men’s Basketball Team has won the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference for the third year in a row on March. 5, and the sense of pride on campus has skyrocketed. Go Gaels!a

N is for North Avenue. North Avenue is where Iona, as well as many popular shops and eateries for Iona students, is located.

O is for opportunities. Iona offers their students a variety of opportunities, not only from their education, but also through internships, mentoring and networking.

P is for Pipe Band. If you have ever been awoken by bagpipers on a Saturday morning, you probably live at Iona College. Being that Iona is an Irish Christian Brothers school, the pipe band is kind of a big deal. The Iona College Pipe Band performs at almost all major events held at Iona. Notably, the pipe band has won a myriad of [CM10] awards over the years, and proudly represents Iona College in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in New York City every year.

Q is for questions answered. Iona has great faculty and staff who will advise and assist you throughout your college career. Not to mention the professors, who provide you with the knowledge you need to have a successful future.

R is for Ryan Library. The main library on campus, Ryan Library is a familiar spot to any Iona student where they can get their work done.

S is for Spellman. Another familiar spot for Iona students, Spellman—also known as Vitanza Commons—is the main on-campus eatery, offering a wide array of food options, from burgers to salads to sushi.

T is for tutoring. The Samuel Rudin Center is an academic resource center on campus that offers tutoring services and reviews papers.

“The Rudin Center is a great resource for students to seek help in understanding a subject, especially if they feel shy to ask their professors for help and feel more comfortable in asking a peer for help,” sophomore Natalie Fernandez said.

U is for undergraduate and graduate programs. Iona offers 60 degree programs and over 40 graduate programs. Iona’s Five-year Bachelor’s/Master’s degree programs are offered in Chemistry, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, History, Mass Communications, Mathematics and Psychology.

V is for views. Iona’s campus is full of beautiful sights each day. The campus is always well-maintained, and many students find it to be one of their favorite things about Iona.

“The ginkgo tree when it’s in bloom is one of my favorite physical aspects of campus,” senior Jill Venditti said. “That and when there’s fresh snow on the trees and when the leaves change color for fall is just so beautiful.”

W is for Westchester County, where Iona College is located in New York.

X can best be applied to Iona with the Roman numeral MCMXL, which is 1940s, the year Iona College was established.

Y is for yearbook. Many students don’t know that Iona College’s yearbook, put together by ICANN, is included in their tuition. A yearbook will provide innumerable memories of your years spent at Iona, so make sure you pick one up at the end of the semester!

Z is for zillions of things to love. Listed above are only a few key aspects of Iona College, but each student brings their own impact to our school, and there are therefore so many experiences waiting for you and opportunities to find something you will love about Iona.