Finding ways to connect with nature in college

If you’re feeling stressed about school work, taking some time outside can be relaxing and healthy. The spring weather is approaching, making it that time of year to escape the fluorescent lights and get outdoors!

Just because you are on a college campus doesn’t mean you can’t go outside. Homework and studying for classes can get intense and stressful. Being in Mother Nature’s presence can be of help to you or anyone who steps out of their routine to be outdoors – even if it’s for five minutes or an hour.

Staying in an environment constantly without being able to go outside can be dragging. Take a detour of your planned events! Make time to self-love or take a ten-minute break on a bench. A little fresh air can’t hurt.

Start doing homework outside! An easy way to do this would be to find a comfortable spot and read under a tree or on a bench. In between classes, grab some lunch, go to the Ryan Library patio and take in the scenery around you. Looking around and embracing the setting around you can ease your mind.

Get active! It’s never too late to start an exercise routine! Take a walk with a friend or go for a run to de-stress. Buy a coloring book from the dollar store and try to make time each day to complete one page while outside. Moving to different spots may help to decrease boredom. If once a day can be too much, try twice a week until you can make more time.

Looking for local spots to go to? The nearby New Rochelle High School has a good-sized field and benches surrounding Huguenot Lake. Take a walk around the high school on a Saturday morning with a friend. You could also go to the steps at the Spellman portico and relax or do a homework assignment. There are also tables and chairs if you prefer to work on a flat surface. You would be in the center of the campus, so just looking around and admiring the day could also be relaxing too!

The benches outside of the LaPenta Student Union can be a great spot to rest if you feel overwhelmed with stress. The Starbucks on campus also has seating right outside if you want to study with a drink! East Hill can also be wonderful to take in some sun. As the weather gets warmer, grab a blanket to sit on and a snack such as ice cream. Make sure to wear sunscreen and reapply to keep your skin safe and healthy.

Mazzella Field can be used for some fun outdoors. You can use the bleachers as a place to soak in the sun. You can also find out the upcoming sports schedules and come support Iona’s teams at the same time! Plus, when teams aren’t using the field, you can do your own physical exercise. You can go in the morning, in between classes or anytime you’d like. Be aware that if a team is using the field, to respect their practice and wait until it’s free.

The outdoors will always be waiting for you to get pleasure for what it has to offer. Find time and find out for yourself how you can enjoy what nature can bring!