Outside Iona: Feb. 22

Democrat Tom Suozzi flips scandal-ridden George Santos’s seat in Congress 

Adrian Vazquez    News Editor 

In a special election on Feb. 14, Democrat Tom Suozzi defeated Republican opponent Mazi Pilip to win the New York Third Congressional District seat by a margin of seven points. The former seat of George Santos, the Third District is comprised of largely suburban Nassau County and Queens. Suozzi, a political centrist well known to the district, ran on a bipartisan platform in connection with the essential issues of border control and abortion rights. “The way to make our country a better place is to try and find common ground. It is not easy to do. It is hard to do,” Suozzi said at his election night party.   

Information from AP News, New York Times, NPR. 

New York special election: Tom Suozzi flips George Santos’ seat | AP News 

Democrats cheer New York win as good omen for November. But is it enough to calm anxiety over Biden? | AP News 

New York Special Election Live Results: Tom Suozzi Wins George Santos’s Seat – The New York Times (nytimes.com) 

Democrat Suozzi wins special election to replace Santos in New York : NPR 

Top UN court rejects South Africa’s request to safeguard densely populated Rafah  

Adrian Vazquez    News Editor 

The UN International Court of Justice (ICJ) rejected a request by South Africa to impose urgent measures to safeguard Rafah in the Gaza Strip. However, the ICJ reiterated that Israel must respect the existing measures of the court’s Jan. 26 ruling, which are “applicable throughout the Gaza Strip, including in Rafah.” An estimated 1.4 million Palestinians, more than half the population of the Gaza Strip, reside in Rafah and brace for an imminent attack by Israel. Despite Israel declaring that civilians will be evacuated prior to the attack on what it deems the last Hamas stronghold, international aid officials have stated that there is nowhere to go to due to the destruction caused by the offensive. 

Information from AP News, New York Times, PBS NewsHour. 

Top UN court rejects South African request for urgent measures to safeguard Rafah | AP News 

Netanyahu Says Cease-Fire Talks Are at Dead End – The New York Times (nytimes.com) 

Top UN court rejects South Africa’s request for urgent measures to safeguard Rafah | PBS NewsHour 

Putin opposition leader Alexei Navalny is declared dead in captivity  

Adrian Vazquez    News Editor 

The death of prominent Putin opposition leader Alexei Navalny was confirmed on Feb. 17 by Navalny’s spokesperson, saying he was “murdered”. Navalny had been imprisoned in a remote Arctic penal colony prior to his death, leading questions to arise regarding what killed him. Prison officials told Navalny’s mother that his official cause of death was “sudden death syndrome”, yet an ongoing post-mortem investigation into Navalny’s death has denied the return of his body to relatives. Although Navalny would not have been able to challenge Putin in a general election, he was a symbol of hope for many Russians as Putin’s staunchest foe. 

Navalny’s team confirms his death and demands his body is returned to his family | AP News 

Biden Says ‘Putin Is Responsible’ After Report of Navalny’s Death – The New York Times (nytimes.com) 

Alexei Navalny dies: Putin opponent, 47, passed out in prison, Moscow says : NPR