Five tips to help freshman adjust to the spring semester

Photo made in Canva
Read up on the five tips every freshman needs for the spring semester.

Settling into a new semester can be nerve racking and if it’s your first semester it’s even more intense, but the spring semester at Iona can be a smooth ride if the following tips are kept in mind.  

Tip #1 – print out your syllabi: this will help you stay on top of your assignments in case you missed something in class. 

A sentiment often repeated by professors during every introductory class is the importance of a syllabus, and although a bit overplayed it is important to have your syllabus on standby for any questions or concerns regarding a class. Understanding a syllabus can allow you to be better prepared for the semester ahead and plan out how to tackle work that might seem intimidating, giving yourself a head start in course content and ideas can be beneficial in easing the stress a class can induce.  

Tip #2 – be upfront and honest with your professors: stay after class to talk with professors about any challenges you know you might have. 

Good communication is helpful for any kind of relationship you may have, but especially for one between professor and student. If a courses content is difficult to understand or a topic isn’t sitting well in your brain, then talk to your professor about your troubles, they are here to help and guide you, so although they may seem intimidating at times professors are a guidance to success.  

Tip #3 – talk to people who sit around you: you never know if you might need their help. 

Socializing can be scary and difficult in a college setting, but the nervous feelings and awkwardness of sitting in a room of strangers is universal, so striking up a conversation with someone close to you could lead to a valuable friendship or a helpful classmate connection. 

Tip #4 – join a club: you might make more friends and therefore gain new fun experiences. 

Clubs are a perfect outlet for meeting people with similar interests to you and a sure-fire way to make some meaningful connections and friends. Iona offers many different types of clubs, and each has their own benefits for joining. If you’re interested in joining any clubs the club page on the school website is the way to go. 

Tip #5 – take time for yourself: college is stressful for everyone, you are not alone, everyone needs time for themselves. 

Navigating through the ins and outs of college can be overwhelming and stressful and enable us to forget the most important factor in our lives, which is to take care of ourselves, remember to prioritize your own health and wellbeing and take the time to destress and breath to ensure that you don’t feel burnt out and give each class everything you got.