Love, Gaels: ‘Puppy Love’

Whether we’ve had first-hand experience with it or not, we can all imagine the love that one feels for an animal that we grew up with.  

I was fortunate enough to grow up with a loyal companion in my family, my dog named Smokey. He was a primarily brown pit bull with a white chest and from as far back as I can remember he was always there for me. As I was pulling my sled in the snow or needed company on rainy indoor days, he helped to make those days a lot more fun. I spent a good chunk of my life with him because I was an only child and having a dog to keep me company helped fill that void of loneliness.  

Getting a dog to keep me company helped me to learn the responsibility that comes with taking care of an animal as I would feed him, give him water and clean up his messes outside. We would eat together, and he would lay on top of my feet as I was at the dinner table to ensure that I never had cold feet. As a reward for his incredible companionship, I would feed him a treat that I dubbed the “Smokey Special,” which was half a hot dog wrapped in cheese. It was a treat that he always enjoyed, and I equally liked giving it to him as well. 

Sometimes talking to people about your problems can be draining or scary, but I always found animals to be great listeners because of the unspoken care they had for you and Smokey was no different.  He was a very calm and easygoing dog and that kind of personality only increased with age. However, his age never ended up stopping us from enjoying the days we spent going out on walks or lying in the grass to soak up the sun together and enjoying each other’s company.  

Looking back on the memories we shared, I think about a picnic that we shared together with a beach umbrella I planted in the ground as he sat beside me the whole afternoon. I enjoy that memory because the following day he passed away and I like to think that he knew and gave me that wonderful afternoon as a parting gift, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.  

I think fondly of the memories we shared, all the laughs he brought me by being himself and although he is no longer physically in my life, his impact on me as a person is one that will stay with me forever.