Love, Gaels: ‘My Love of music in college’

Growing up, my music taste was a bit abstract, and I often felt like an outsider based on my music taste. However, that feeling allowed me to resonate with that music on a deeper, more personal level and left me with a feeling of comfort.

As I grew older, my music taste expanded but I still found myself resonating with music that made me feel understood. Love can mean a multitude of things and has many different forms. Affection can also signify admiration for an induvial or a love for their craft, like a musician whose music speaks to you on a personal level and makes you feel heard in a way that can only be felt through impactful music. I’m sure we all have one or many artists that creates music that is your go-to comfort music. Whether it is an album, song, chorus or verse. I have had multiple instances of artists that have crafted music that left me feeling heard, seen and related to.  

During my college experience, I have used music for multiple different scenarios to de-stress. When I need a break from the outside world and the load of homework from my classes, I take a mental break by listening to music. The way I view music is like a portal to another world, and in that world, there is music that is tailored to my interests and feelings as it makes me feel comfortable and reassured unlike any other feeling.

I’m sure we can all think of a song or two or perhaps an entire album that resonates with us on a deeply personal level or takes us back to a certain experience or memory in life.  A song that has stuck me with all throughout college and helped me during the hard times was a “Blink-182” song called “Adam’s Song.” The message of the song is impactful, and the lyrics always leave me inspired and ready for a hopeful future. The lyrics that stood out specifically are found in the beginning of the chorus “Tomorrow holds such better days, days when I can still feel alive, when I can’t wait to get outside…” The song and lyrics are sung with such passion by the vocalist, Mark Hoppus, and leaves me feeling great after a hard time.  

I hope that this article has reminded you of the impact music has on oneself and the help it can give you when dealing with tough times in college and outside college. On that note, give your comfort song a good relisten and reminisce on the feelings you felt with those songs.