Representatives from CBS share career stories with Iona students

PHOTO COURTESY OF JOE D'ALOISIO

Junior broadcast major Queury Triunfel speaks with Clark after she discussed her job as a producer.

Abigail Rapillo, News Editor

The Iona College Mass Communications department hosted three CBS employees to discuss their experiences working in the media field on April 2.

Valdimir Duthiers, Antoinette Clark and Christopher Simon talked to students in the LaPenta EndZone about their journeys finding the careers they now have at CBS. Clark and Simon began their careers at the network, but Duthiers came from a background in business.

Duthiers, a news correspondent for CBS, spoke first about how he came to the network. Duthiers had originally worked in the business world and traveled globally for a multimillion-dollar company. In his 30s, Duthiers decided that what he really wanted to do was be a reporter. He went to graduate school for journalism and took an internship at CNN, where he connected with Anderson Cooper, who acted as a mentor for him. He told ICTV that he was working 40 hours a week at his internship, when only 10 to 15 hours were required. He would get to work at 6 a.m. and work until 5 p.m. for a 3 p.m. show and then go to class every night of the week. Duthiers also had Saturday classes.

“Sunday was my only day off but I had to do all my homework and all the local reporting that they required,” Duthiers said. “I did that every week to entice people who make decisions to let them know that I was serious, that I was there to work.”

Duthiers eventually had the opportunity to be the correspondent for CNN in Lagos, Nigeria, which he chose over going to London to report on business. He wanted to report on news events and said that following your passion is what really matters. He then got a job offer from CBS and went to work for CBS on its digital outlets.

Clark began her career in media by working as an associate producer on morning talk shows. She said that she worked long hours and had almost no personal life. She decided to change directions in her career and became the network’s vice president for branded entertainment and media innovation. In this role, Clark is in charge of product placement and sponsorship for daytime shows at CBS. In college, Clark worked internships in producing, which alumni helped her get.

“My internships were so pivotal for me figuring out where I wanted to go,” Clark said.

She also said Iona students should take advantage of college alumni through the internet.

“I feel like right now with LinkedIn and social media you can always get in contact with alumni [who are] usually much more apt to help undergraduates,” Clark said.

Simon has worked at CBS for over 25 years and is the executive vice president of network sales. He said he ended up in advertising because he liked talking to people.

“Follow your heart, find your passion and then go after that,” Simon said. “There is nothing worse than being at work every day and really not liking where you are, and not liking the people you’re with.”

All three panelists told the students in attendance that they needed to follow their passions and create their own path in finding their careers.