Jordin Hale discusses life as student athlete, mother

Jordin Hale is the starting goalie on water polo team.

Photo courtesy of ICGaels.com

Matthew Chaves, Assistant Sports Editor

Being a student athlete in college can be tough. Not only do you have to keep up with all of the work a regular college student has, but you also have to train day after day to make sure you’re in top shape and upholding your skill.

Some people aren’t cut out for the amount of work needed to be a student athlete, but Iona junior Jordin Hale goes above and beyond. Hale is not only the starting goalkeeper for the women’s water polo team with a .508 save percentage, but has two Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference weekly honors under her belt as well. She’s also a mother.

“The crazy part about it is I think it’s actually easier,” Hale said about being a mother and a student athlete. “It helps me manage my time.”

Hale had her child, Amina-Jordan, during her sophomore year. The water polo program supported her throughout it all.

“[Head Coach Brian Kelly] really had my back, really got me back in shape and got me back to where I needed to be,” Hale said. “I’m glad that this season I’m finally there. It feels awesome.”

Hale’s child is a huge driving force in her performance and helps her motivate herself every day.

“I enjoy every second of that little girl,” Hale said. “She’s amazing and she’s learning something new every day, and it’s awesome that I’m a part of that.”

Hale made sure to not only get back into the team, but adequately take on all of the responsibility of being the starting goalkeeper.

For anyone who’s looking to balance a hectic schedule such as hers, Hale said one of the most important things is to stay positive.

One of the major factors to help Hale return to the team was the support of her teammates and the coaches.

“It gets a little tiring with the travelling,” Hale said. “But I have my team behind my back. I have my coach behind my back, helping me however I need and always being there. The Iona family is a great family to be a part of.”

Hale and the rest of the team get along very well, which translates into the pool seamlessly. The bond between the athletes helps them get the most out of their individual talents.

“Everyone has such great talent,” Hale said. “These girls are amazing and they get better every single day.”