Water polo team has tough week in California

The water polo team had a tough road trip going 0-5 on the west coast.

Andrew JordanStaff Writer

After splitting a double-header in their final two games at Hynes Athletic Center on Oct. 2, Iona traveled across the country to California to take on No. 15 Cal Baptist, who the Gaels lost to 20-5 to start off the season.

Iona did not get off to the start that they wanted to against the Lancers, going down 6-2 in the first quarter.

The Gaels did respond, getting five goals and an assist from junior Seth Tasman and two goals from freshman Matthew Stelnicki, which brought the Gaels within three goals.

However, Iona fell to Cal Baptist 15-11 before having a double-header to start out the 2010 Convergence in Claremont the next day.

In the Gaels first game in the tournament, they faced NAIA opponent Concordia.

Iona once again got off to a shaky start, going down by three against the Eagles at the end of the first quarter.

Despite a hat trick from Tasman and two goals from junior Matt Joslyn, the Gaels were not able to overcome the early deficit as they lost 16-11.

In the nightcap of the double-header, Iona faced the University of Redlands in what was a thrilling encounter.

Throughout the first three quarters, the Gaels held a lead against the Bulldogs, but the Bulldogs were able to tie the game at seven going into the final frame.

In the final quarter, the Redlands were able to outscore Iona 3-2 to claim the game by a 10-9 score.

As with the other two games in California so far, Tasman was fantastic, scoring three goals and contributing an assist. Junior Cameron Hudson was able to score two goals of his own.

Stelnicki, along with freshmen Lee Stiles and Sean Davis were able to score the other four goals for Iona.

Following their two losses, Iona had two more games left to play in California.

First up for the Gaels was Cal Lutheran, and just like their first two games in California, Iona got off to a weak start.

The Knights were able to get three goals in the first half to take the lead, and never looked back as they won 10-9.

In the fourth quarter, Iona was able to score five goals and get within one goal, but time ran out on the Gaels comeback.

Overall, Tasman, Hudson and sophomore Kristan Bocage had two goals, while Stiles, Davis, Stelnicki and sophomore Connor Bracken  had one goal apiece. Freshman Stefen Hill made 12 saves in net.

Against Chapman, Iona was unable to find the net despite 28 shot attempts. The inability to score put the Gaels in a hole throughout, as Chapman was able to score four times in both the first and second quarters.

Due to this, Iona fell to 0-5 on their trip to California with the 12-4 loss to Chapman.

Davis had a goal and an assist for Iona, while Stelnicki also found the net for the Gaels. Bocage and sophomore Brandon Crane contributed the remaining Iona goals.

Freshman Tom Gaughan made four saves in net during his two quarters of play.

Hill made four saves as well after coming in at halftime to relieve Gaughan.

Iona also dropped two games in the CWPA North-South Crossover. The Gaels competed against Princeton and George Washington.

The Gaels dropped their game against Princeton by a score of 11-5. Iona was outscored 8-0 in the first half.

Hudson picked up a hat-trick in the 10-7 loss to George Washington.

The Gaels will play their next games at the Northern Division Championship on  Nov. 6 from Cambridge, Mass. Their opponents have yet to be named thus far.