Faughnan, other top performers, help Gaels to solid MAAC finish

Photo courtesy of Ionagaels.com. Faughnan won his fifth gold en route to his second MAAC Most Outstanding Player Award.

The Iona University men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams competed in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championships at the Spire Academy in Geneva, Ohio from Feb. 14-18.  

The women’s team took sixth place with 307 points while the men’s team finished in fifth place with 397. Even though both teams did not receive a team medal, both squads earned a handful of individual medals and records. 

Day one of the event was packed with team events and the Gaels showed up ready to compete. In the 800-yard Freestyle Relay, the men’s quartet of senior, Michael Faughnan, who had the meet’s fastest leg, and three freshmen, Kieren Egan, Noah Giunta and Nate Wales combined for a new school record of 6:35.46, earning them a bronze medal.  

The men’s team also set a new school mark in the 200-Medley Relay with a time of 1:29.79 and a fifth-place finish. Egan led off the relay with a 22.11 50-yard backstroke leg, Matthew Loftus followed up with a career best 50-yard breaststroke split of 24.70, Brian Baldwin was next with a 22.10 in the 50-yard butterfly leg, and lastly Nicholas Patino anchored with a 20.88 split. 

The women’s team set their own school record in the 800-yard Freestyle Relay with a time of 7:37.75. The quartet consisted of senior Megan Josephs, sophomore Brennyn Veit, freshman Kate Kennedy and graduate student Isabella Nicholson. 

On day two of the four-day meet, Faughnan won gold in the 500-yard Freestyle with a time of 4:20.64. The men’s quartet of Faughnan, Wales, Patino and Mikel Palaj combined for a new school record and a bronze medal in the 200-Freestyle Relay with a time of 1:20.73. In the diving portion, Dylan Riccio placed sixth on the 3-Meter Springboard at 186.05. 

On the women’s side, Nicholson placed sixth in the 50-yard Freestyle with a time of 23.76. 

Day three of the meet proved to be the most successful for the Gaels. For the women’s team, sophomore Ashley Benkert won gold in the 100-yard Butterfly with a time of 56.18 defending her title from the 2023 MAAC Championships. Josephs claimed bronze in the 200-yard Freestyle with a time of 1:53.01. 

For the men’s team, Loftus broke the school record in the 100-Breaststroke at 55.12 taking ninth place. Faughnan broke the MAAC and school record in the 200-Freestyle earning gold with a time of 1:34.79. He also won gold alongside Egan, Loftus and Giunta in the 400-yard Medley Relay posting a time of 3:14.86, another school record. 

On the fourth and final day of the meet Faughnan claimed his third gold medal of the meet in the 200-yard back breaking another MAAC record with a time of 1:43.89. In the meet’s final event Egan, Wales, senior Liam Pyatt and Faughnan combined for gold in the 400-yard Freestyle Relay with a time of 2:58.20, a new school record. 

For the women’s team, the largest scoring event came in the 1650-Freestyle, when freshman Anabel Huffstutler took bronze at 17:28.35 and graduate student Tristan Urso came in fifth with a time of 17:34.97. Nicholson capped off her career winning bronze at 51.31 in the 100-yard Freestyle.  

Faughnan’s standout performance earned him his second consecutive MAAC Outstanding Swimmer Award. 

Select swimmers will compete in the 2024 CSCAA National Invitational Championships from March 14-16 in Ocala, Florida.