46° New Rochelle, NY
The Student News Site of Iona University

The Ionian

The Ionian

The Ionian

Sports Outside Iona: Feb. 22

Photo+by+Mike+Lang+%28USA+Today+Network%29.+Most+of+MLB+reported+to+camp+on+Feb.+14+and+started+workouts+the+following+day.+
Photo by Mike Lang (USA Today Network). Most of MLB reported to camp on Feb. 14 and started workouts the following day.

Chiefs score second straight title in dynasty-cementing win 

The Kansas City Chiefs took on the San Francisco 49ers for Super Bowl LVlll in Las Vegas. The 49ers received the ball in the first quarter but couldn’t capitalize on their early possessions. The Chiefs looked sluggish initially too and failed to get an opening drive score in the playoffs for the first time since 2020. Soon enough, the 49ers went up 10-0 by the second quarter. But then, late in the second and going into the third, we saw a turnaround for the Chiefs as they put six points on the board with two field goals. The play that switched the whole momentum of the game was when the Chiefs were kicking off back to the 49ers, and the ball touched Darrell Luter Jr.’s leg, leading to a quick Kansas City recovery. Later on, after the score was tied 19-19 in the fourth quarter, the 49ers received the ball to start the overtime period, but only scored a field goal. The Chiefs scored a touchdown on their drive, giving them back-to-back titles and their fourth championship win in franchise history.  

Information from NFL Network. 

NBA All-Star Game makes history in star-studded weekend 

The Eastern and Western Conferences played each other in the NBA All-Star Game for the first time since 2017, scrapping the player draft format in the process. The Milwaukee Bucks’ Doc River and Minnesota Timberwolves’ Chris Finch coached the Eastern and Western Conferences, respectively, in the offensive showdown. The two sides combined for 397 points — 211 from the East (a new record) and 186 by the West. Karl-Anthony Towns led all players with 50 points, while Paolo Banchero posted a game-high nine rebounds. Damian Lillard won a thrilling three-point contest with 26 final round points, Steph Curry defeated the WNBA’s Sabrina Ionescu in a much-anticipated three-point showdown and Mac McClung won his second consecutive Dunk Contest during the action-packed weekend.  

Information from TNT and NBA.com.  

Pitchers and catchers reporting marks spring training start 

Major League Baseball’s spring training is officially underway after pitchers and catchers reported to camp on Feb. 13. Spring training is one of the few instances in not only baseball, but professional sports in general, where prospects, high-ranking free agent signings and veterans looking for a second chance can find themselves on the same playing field. While workouts have begun, the first of the actual spring training games will kick off with a matchup between the Dodgers and Padres on Feb. 22. Despite this, several top free agents remain unsigned, like the reigning National League Cy Young Award and Comeback Player of the Year winners, Blake Snell and Cody Bellinger. Nonetheless, deals should begin to trickle in as this first week progresses and roster needs are made more obvious.  

Information from MLB.com.