Water polo team blows out Connecticut College

The water polo teams offense exploded in an important 19-5 win over Connecticut College.

The water polo team’s offense exploded in an important 19-5 win over Connecticut College.

Andrew JordanStaff Writer

Following a fantastic win in sudden death against Harvard, Iona finished up their time in Cambridge with an 11-8 defeat to MIT in Cambridge on Sept. 26.

The Gaels were up going into the fourth quarter, but Iona gave up the lead in the final quarter to the Engineers, as MIT scored five unanswered goals to register the win.

In the game, senior Seth Tasman, sophomore Connor Bracken and freshman Matthew Stelnicki all scored two goals. Sophomore Kristian Bocage and freshman Sean Davis were also able to tally goals for the Gaels.

Following the victory, Iona headed back to New York, as they traveled to Flushing to face Queens College.

During the first half, both sides traded goals in a seesaw affair, and Iona was able to hold an 8-7 lead at the half.

Despite being behind, the Knights remained resilient, and were able to tie the game 13-13 to force overtime.

In the first overtime period, Tasman was able to score to give the Gaels a 14-13 lead, but Queens College’s Vanja Kopilas was able to tie the score at 14 with just 21 seconds remaining in the second overtime to force sudden death.

Kopilas was able to secure the match for Queens College with 47 seconds left in sudden-death overtime to give the Knights the 15-14 win.

Overall, Tasman and junior Trevor Creighton both were able to score four goals apiece. Freshman goalie Stefan Hill made nine saves in net for the Gaels.

Hill was also named CWPA Northern Division Rookie of the Week for making 45 saves in the four games.

After suffering these two losses, Iona headed back home to the Hynes Athletics Center as they faced Brown and Connecticut College in a doubleheader.

Despite having a great home crowd that notably included a vuvuzela and a fan waving a wiffle ball bat, the Gaels were not able to keep up with the Bears after falling behind 4-2 at halftime.

Brown was able to put away the game in the second half, as they outscored the Gaels by a 7-4 score, including three goals in the fourth quarter to win the game 11-6.

Against Brown, Tasman had the Gaels’ two goals in the contest; Bocage also added a goal of his own.

Freshman Lee Stiles and juniors Cameron Hudson and Matt Joslyn rounded out the score sheet for Iona in the loss. 

But the nightcap was a game to remember for Iona, as they were able to fully dismantle Connecticut College in a 19-5 thrashing.

During this game, the Gaels were able to control the match from the start, outscoring Connecticut 9-3 in the first half and 10-2 in the second half en route to their highest goal total of the season.

Iona was led by Joslyn’s four goals and a hat trick from Tasman.

Iona also had nine other goal scorers; Sophomore Brandon Crane scored the first three points of his collegiate career with two goals and an assist. 

Stelnicki and fellow freshman Paolo McCarty each found the net twice for the Maroon and Gold.

Freshman Sean Davis had three points on a goal and two assists, while sophomore Joseph De Leone had a goal and an assist. Juniors Michael Jordan, Ryan Scott and Hunter Carrier each had a goal.

Freshman Zach Yawn also picked up his first collegiate goal to round up the scoring.

The Gaels will next play on Oct. 23 when they participate in the CWPA North-South Crossover in Princeton, N.J., facing Princeton and George Washington in their first two games.