Gay-Straight Alliance celebrate Coming Out Week

During the week of October 11-15, Iona students celebrated Coming Out Week. It is a week-long event hosted by the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) to raise awareness about the many issues facing the LGBT community and their supporters.

“In addition to raising awareness, we also hope that the events of Coming Out Week will get people to have some fun!” Gay-Straight Alliance President Aaron Megibow said.

Nationally, there is a Coming Out Day that is recognized every year on Oct. 11. The GSA decided to extend it to an entire week.

“A full week of events not only helps to raise more awareness, but it also sends a message to everyone at Iona that there is an LGBT community here, and we are here to stay,” Megibow said.

On Monday night there was a vigil, co-sponsored with Campus Ministries, held on the steps of Spellman Hall. The intention was to raise awareness about hate crimes that are committed towards the LGBT community.

On Tuesday, there was a presentation about substance abuse in the LGBT community co-sponsored by the Alcohol and Other Drugs Education Committee (AODE), in conjunction with Alcohol Awareness week.

On Wednesday, students made buttons in the Endzone at LaPenta. There was also a movie shown in the Endzone that evening. This event was co-sponsored by the Film Studies Department.

The movie was a British romantic comedy called “Imagine Me & You.” In it, a newly married woman, Rachel, befriends the florist, Luce, from her wedding. As their friendship grows, Rachel begins to question her sexuality and wonders if she is falling for Luce.

On Thursday, there was a charity drive to raise money for Broadway Cares. Broadway

Cares is an organization that helps support those who suffer from HIV/AIDS by using many of the resources of the American Theater community. The Gay-Straight Alliance was able to raise $50 in the time they were outside Lapenta.

The cap to Coming Out Week was Coming Out Stars, an event held on Friday.  It was co-sponsored by the Counseling Center. It is an experiential exercise that shows what it is like for gays and lesbians to come out.

“It demonstrates that diversity that is inherent within the coming out process,” Megibow said.

Overall, Megibow considers Coming Out Week a success. Events were well attended and successful.

“Most people think that because Iona is a Catholic institution, a cause such as the LGBT movement would not receive any support, but overall, the Iona community comes out and supports us very well and is very receptive to our message,” he said.

The Gay-Straight Alliance is planning on hosting another Coming Out Week next semester. Megibow plans to have different events, and hopes that all those who attended this semester’s Coming Out Week, plus new faces, will attend the Spring 2011 semester’s Coming Out Week.