46° New Rochelle, NY
The Student News Site of Iona University

The Ionian

The Ionian

The Ionian

Outside Iona: Feb. 8

President of El Salvador Nayib Bukele seeks reelection, defying the constitution

In less than five years, incumbent president of El Salvador Nayib Bukele has transformed El Salvador from a nation plagued by a high murder rate and gang violence to a nation with one of the lowest homicide rates in the Americas. However, there is concern for a waning economy and human rights abuses, as 76,000 people – 1% of the population – have been arrested under a state of emergency. Despite these issues, recent polling indicates seven to nine of every 10 voters support Bukele, making prospects of a second term for Bukele and legislature controlled by Bukele’s party likely.  

Information from AP News, New York Times and Reuters. 

El Salvador election: Love him or hate him, all eyes are on Bukele | AP News 

Bukele, Combative but Popular, May Tighten Grip in El Salvador Elections – The New York Times (nytimes.com) 

El Salvador’s Bukele looks set for landslide election win on gang crackdown | Reuters 

The United States and Britain launch strikes on Yemen’s Houthis, retaliating against attacks by Iran-backed militants 

The United States and Britain struck 36 Houthi targets on Feb. 2 in a second wave of strikes against Iran-backed militants. U.S. Central Command declared an additional strike on Sunday was made in “self-defense” against a Houthi anti-ship cruise missile “prepared to launch against ships in the Red Sea,” according to a post on X, formerly Twitter. Strikes in Houthi-controlled Yemen were followed by an air assault in Iraq and Syria against other Iranian-backed militias in retaliation to a drone strike that killed three U.S. troops in Jordan. The Houthis have indicated that attacks on vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden will continue until the Israel-Hamas War ends. 

Information from AP News, PBS NewsHour and NPR.  

US, Britain begin new strikes on Yemen’s Houthis | AP News 

U.S. and UK hit Yemen’s Houthis with new strikes in retaliation for Iran-backed attacks | PBS NewsHour 

The U.S. and allies launch strikes against Houthi targets in Yemen : NPR 

Persecuted Rohingya flee Myanmar and Bangladesh by boat despite death toll 

Muslim ethnic Rohingya continue to flee Myanmar to escape persecution since 2017 by the now ruling Myanmar military, who conducted a military crackdown now under investigation as a genocide by the International Court of Justice. Malaysia and Bangladesh are popular destinations for Rohingya refugees seeking relative safety, but mistreatment continues. Malaysia possesses no formal application system for asylum seekers, while the conditions of overcrowded refugee camps in Bangladesh are characterized by a lack of food rations and state-imposed work bans for Rohingya. Yet, rickety boats carrying Rohingya refugees continue to brave the waters of Southeast Asia in hopes of a better life in majority-Muslim Malaysia or Indonesia. 

Information from AP News, DW and Al Jazeera.  

Rohingya flee Myanmar and Bangladesh by boat despite soaring death toll | AP News 

Malaysia: Over 100 Rohingya flee migrant detention center – DW – 02/02/2024 

Dozens of Rohingya refugees flee Malaysian immigration detention centre | Rohingya News | Al Jazeera