Men’s soccer proud of season long success

The soccer team had one of their best seasons in the program’s history.

Sandy HunterStaff Writer

The Iona Mens’ Soccer Team played another successful season during the fall semester.  The Gaels struggled early during their non-conference play, but came together to match their best ever finish, running up in the MAAC playoffs.

The Gaels experienced mixed fortunes during non-conference play.  Iona enjoyed an early string of results, defeating Quinnipiac and drawing against Fordham in exhibition play. The Gaels posted an impressive 5-1 win over Hartwick in non-conference play, before dropping games to Hofstra and Adelphi.

The Gaels traveled to South Carolina to participate in the Adidas Gamecock Classic Tournament. In South Carolina the Gaels posted impressive results, tying South Carolina, and beating Kentucky. Three straight losses against Sacred Heart, St Joseph’s and Stony Brook concluded the Gaels non-conference play.  The Gaels concluded non-conference play with a 2-5-1 record.

Entering Conference play, the Gaels had a point to prove following their disappointing non-conference schedule. Beginning conference play with a tough trip to play against Niagara and Canisius, the Gaels had a tough task. 

The Gaels lost to Niagara and beat Canisius. Upon returning to New Rochelle, the Gaels lost to Marist before winning two straight against Siena and Fairfield.

St. Peter’s defeated Iona before the Gaels closed out the regular season with three straight wins against Manhattan, Rider and Loyola.

The Gaels strong finish to the season earned them a third place finish in the MAAC with a conference record of 6-3-0. In the MAAC playoffs, the Gaels performed well, coming from behind to defeat Siena in the semi-final before dropping a tough game to St Peter’s in the final.

The Gael’s 2010 season was one of the most successful in the program’s history, and that was reflected in personal rewards earned by team members. At the MAAC season ending banquet, many Gaels were honored.

Freshman forward Samuel Adjei was awarded MAAC rookie of the year for his five assist contribution. Senior Mario Rios was named to the MAAC first team, while senior Roberto Hernandez-Raan was named to the second team. Both freshmen Marcellin Bilali and Orlando Castaneda were named to the all-rookie team.

Freshman Franklin Castellanos was twice named rookie of the week, and sophomore Jesse Fullerton was twice awarded defensive player of the week.  The Gaels also tied Marist to lead the MAAC with 11 members named to the All-Academic team.

The Gaels graduate a large class this year, and will miss the leadership of a strong senior group. Graduating players include Hernandez-Raaen, Mario Rios, Shane Jeffery, Julian Grajales and Keith Wood.

This class has served Iona Soccer well over its tenure and will be missed. The seniors contributed to the growth and success of the Gaels program.

Though the Gaels lose a strong class, their freshmen this year demonstrate potential sufficient to continue the forward direction of the program.