Men’s Soccer suffers upsetting defeat in finals

The men’s soccer team closed out their season on a high note proving to people that they are a contender.

Sandy HunterStaff Writer

The Iona men’s soccer team completed their successful season by finishing second in the MAAC championship tournament. The Gaels lost a close fought encounter with St Peter’s in the MAAC final.

The championship was played at Loyola. The MAAC championships were a stage for the Gaels to prove their oft-overlooked ability.

The Gaels earned their spot in the final by defeating Siena. In a semi final played on Friday, Nov. 12, Iona won 2-1.

Iona conceded an early lead in an exciting game, when a long throw in by Siena was flicked into the Iona goal.

Despite going into halftime a goal down, Iona remained confident of their ability to transfer their dominance into goals. Iona left it late, however, in the 70th minute, the game was tied.   

Senior midfielder Mario Rios received the ball from freshman Franklin Castellanos and placed an unstoppable shot past Siena’s goalie.

The game winner was scored by freshman Samuel Adjei, who converted a pass from senior Roberto Hernandez-Raan. Sophomore Michael Jordan made two saves in goal for the Gaels.

Siena had been the second-ranked team entering competition. The win set up the Gaels for the MAAC final against St Peter’s. 

In the final, the Gaels came out strong against the top-seeded St Peters College. An incredibly intense first half saw the Gaels go down a goal and lose a player. One of Iona’s defenders was red carded in the build up to St Peters’ goal.

St Peter’s struck again early in the second half, however, following the second goal, the game was dominated by Iona. Playing a man down, the Gaels fought back into the Game. Senior Julian Grajales scored to half the Gael’s deficit.

Grajales goal was assisted by freshman Orlando Castaneda and sophomore Robbie Krohmer. The Gaels continued to pressure an increasingly desperate St Peter’s team, and thought the game had been tied when Grajales put the ball into the net following a rebound from Rios’  free kick.

Cruelly and controversially the goal was called back for offside. Despite continued pressure, the Gaels could not find the equaliser they deserved. Jordan made a career high 6 saves in the effort. Graduating seniors Grajales, Rios and Hernandez-Raan were all named to the all-tournament team.

The Gaels cemented their place in the MAAC playoffs with a strong run of good results. Prior to the MAAC tournament The Men’s Soccer team posted wins against MAAC opponents Manhattan, Rider and Loyola. The men’s soccer team dominated in all outings, establishing themselves as strong playoff contenders.

The Gaels traveled to Manhattan College on Sunday, Oct. 31, to face a tough Manhattan team with nothing to lose. Profiting from excellent play from all involved, the Gaels came away from the encounter with a 3-0 victory.

The Gaels got goals from Castellanos and Castaneda as well as a marker from Rios. That is a all Iona would need to top Manhattan.

Castellanos’ goal came in the 33rd minute, Iona’s only goal of the first half despite outshooting their opponent 15-2 over the first period. Castellanos’ goal was assisted by Grajales.

Early in the second half Iona doubled their lead when Castaneda scored from a pass by Castellanos. The third goal, a penalty kick won when junior Adam Rohan was fouled, was converted by Rios with ease.

Rios scored on his first penalty kick attempt of the year. In the second half the Gaels outshot Manhattan 11-7, for a total advantage of 26-9. Iona also led 5-1 in corner kicks. Sophomore goal keeper Jesse Fullerton earned his sixth win of the year.

Against Rider, the Gaels fought hard to come away with a win. Eventually winning 3-0, the Gaels provided themselves with an excellent boost in their playoff hunt.  Iona immediately attacked their opponent, and was rewarded early. Adjei scored in the second minute of play, assisted by freshman Victor Munoz.

Adjei’s fourth goal of the year provided Iona with the early advantage they needed to overwhelm their opponent. 

Iona’s lead was doubled when Rios passed to MJ Nestor in front of the goal. Although Nester’s shot was saved, Grajales scored off the rebound. Both Rios and Nester earned assists on the play.

Rider scored a few minutes before halftime to ease the deficit; however, a resurgent Iona team finished the game strong. A third goal from Castaneda, assisted by Adjei, secured the win for the Gaels. Iona finished the game with a 20-8 advantage in shots taken, while Rider led 5-2 in corner kicks. Fullerton made two saves in the win.

On Sunday, Nov. 7, the Gaels entertained Loyola on their senior day, celebrating the accomplishments of graduating players Hernandez-Raan, Rios, Shane Jeffery, Grajales and Keith Wood. The Gaels convincingly beat Loyola 2-0.

A goal from Grajales, assisted by Castellanos was followed by a goal from Castellanos. Both goals came in an entertaining first half. The Gaels would hold onto the lead to take the victory.