Men’s Water Polo finishes sixth in Northerns

Andrew JordanStaff Writer

Following a 0-5 road trip to California, Iona returned home to participate in the CWPA North-South Crossover at Fordham.

In Iona’s first game of what would be two consecutive day-night doubleheaders, they matched up against No 14 Princeton on Oct. 24.

However, the game with Princeton did not go according to plan, with the Gaels getting outscored 8-0 in the first half before losing 11-5.

In their second half, Iona got a hat trick from freshman Lee Stiles and goals from sophomores Connor Bracken and Cody Siemeck.

In the nightcap of the first doubleheader, Iona faced a familiar foe in George Washington, who has previously beaten Iona twice this year.

In their third game against the Colonials, Iona was not able to turn the tables, losing this time by a 10-7 score.

The Gaels were powered by a hat trick from Junior Cameron Hudson, and two goals apiece from senior Seth Tasman and freshman Matthew Stelnicki. Sophomore Kristian Bocage rounded out the scoring with a goal of his own.

Iona’s fortunes changed the next day, starting with their game against Gannon.

Despite a slow start that saw the Gaels fall behind 8-2 in the middle of the second quarter, Iona was able to rebound by outscoring the Golden Knights 10-3 to close out the game.

Iona was led by a fantastic effort from Tasman, who had a five-goal contest, along with Hudson and Junior Matt Joslyn who scored two goals.

Bracken and freshman Bryan Driscoll also scored goals for Iona.

In Iona’s contest against Mercyhurst, the Gaels were able to rebound from a 9-8 defeat to the Lakers from the beginning of the season.

Against Mercyhurst, the Gaels were able to come from behind again, with Tasman putting together a monster seven-goal game to lead Iona.

Iona also got goals from Joslyn, Stelnicki, Hudson, Bracken and Siemeck in their 13-12 win.

With his 14-goal performance in the four games, Tasman was awarded the Northern Division Player of the Week honors.

Following the tournament, Iona traveled back to Fordham to face the rival Rams on Oct. 27.

From the beginning of the game, Iona continued to play catch-up, as Fordham held a 3-0 lead in the first quarter and despite Iona’s best efforts, they held the lead throughout the entire contest as they won 13-11.

Iona was able to outscore Fordham 4-2 in the final quarter before time ran out on their comeback.

Iona was powered by hat tricks from Hudson and Tasman.

Following Fordham, Iona competed at the Northern Division Championships against Brown.

Iona lost to the Bears for the second time this year by a score of 12-6.

The Gaels were able to rebound against Queens College with a 14-13 victory, thanks in large part to a hat trick from junior Trevor Creighton.

To close out their tournament, the Gaels faced Harvard, who Iona beat in the second period of sudden death overtime back in September.

However, Iona was not able to beat the Crimson this time, losing 7-6 to finish sixth in the Northern Championship.

Tasman had a hat trick, but the Gaels went down 6-1 early, which proved to be too much despite outscoring Harvard 5-1 in the second half.

The Northern Division Championships conclude the season for the men’s water polo team.

In 15 games  Tasman led the way for the Gaels offense leading the team with 31 goals. He also led the team in points with 41. The team also had six players who had 10 or more goals.