Gaels rout Stony Brook with a four-run rally in the fourth

As a team, the Gaels have a combined batting average of .277.

After getting swept by Canisus, Iona went to work in a non-league game against Sacred Heart.

Early on, the Gaels held a 2-0 lead before allowing two runs in the fifth inning.  However, Iona fell apart in the seventh inning when the Pioneers were able to record ten runs against Iona’s bullpen. As a result, the Gaels lost the game 14-6.

Following the loss, Iona returned to league play against Rider, who won the MAAC Championship last year.

In the first game of a doubleheader, Iona lost 10-1 before coming out in a 7-2 win in the nightcap.

In their win, Iona got on the board with a four run second inning.  Iona was powered by a home run from junior James Beck before freshman Joe Smith was able to have a bases-clearing double to make the score 4-0.

Rider was able to cut into the deficit several times throughout the game, but senior Justin Wiley was able to go the distance for the win to give the Gaels their first league win of the season.

In the finale, Iona lost the rubber game of the series 9-6.

Iona was ahead 4-0 after three innings thanks to RBI’s from Beck, sophomore Matthew Kriss and seniors Chris Griffin and Nick Rossetti.

However, six runs in the sixth and seventh innings allowed Rider to come-from-behind and record the win.

Following their league play, Iona played Central Connecticut State in a non-league game.

Early on, Iona went down 6-0 thanks to a Tyler McIntyre home run, but was able to respond with a five-run seventh inning.

To start off the inning, junior Chris Burke was able to hit a homerun before the Gaels scratched out four runs to make the score 6-5.

However, the Blue Devils were able to score in the seventh inning to secure a 7-5 win.

To close out the week, Iona traveled to Long Island to take on Stony Brook University in a makeup game due to rain.

After going down 3-0 in the first inning, Iona responded with an RBI walk from Griffin before scoring twice in the second inning.

In the fourth inning, Iona was able to break the floodgates open with four runs.  The Gaels were able to get their first two runs in the inning via a single from freshman Bobby Vitulano before Burke hit a two run home run.

In the sixth inning, sophomore Kyle Charron hit a homer and Iona was able to close out their scoring with two more runs in the seventh inning to win the game 10-4.

This loss also depleted Stony Brook’s pitching staff, with the Seawolves using nine different hurlers in a losing effort.

Iona will now travel up to Niagara to participate in a three-game set before taking on Fordham in the Bronx next Tuesday.

Burke has been the Gaels’ most consistent threat on offense. So far this season Burke has knocked six balls out of the park while driving in 24 batters, all team highs. He also leads the team in hits and batting average at .382.