Water polo optimistic about upcoming season

After a disappointing 6-19 season in 2010, Iona’s Water Polo team comes into 2011 looking to register their first winning season since 2003.

Last year, the Gaels record was not indicative of their actual talent and play in the pool.  A failure to close out games and a bad start to the season prevented Iona from reaching the Eastern Championships for the first time in four years.

Of course, last year’s roster included a staggering four starters who were freshman, with six other freshman taking up the top ten rotation. Typically seven are on a water polo roster.

Some of the key-returning players include seniors Matt Joslyn and Cameron Hudson  along with junior Kristian Bocage and sophomores Matthew Steinicki and Stefen Hill.

During last season, each of these players were able to play well during their opportunities to play and will certainly get chances to shine this year.

Going into this season, coach Brian Kelly sounds extremely optimistic with his squad. Kelly said, “Our players are looking soon.”

Kelly was also optimistic when discussing this year’s incoming freshmen. “We brought in two big centers in Tyler Mancuso and Ian Thompson.  We also brought in two big perimeter scorers in Jake Lloyd and Kyle Elmore.  I’m expecting all to have a chance to start and be big impact players this year,” he said.

One of the biggest concerns for Iona this year will come in the form of replacing Seth Tasman.  Last year, Tasman scored an incredible 54 goals and had 16 assists for the Gaels.  Tasman was later named to the CWPA Second Team, the only Gael to achieve that honor.

Another concern that will impact the Gaels this year will be how they close out games.  Last year Iona lost nine games by one or two goals.

Kelly, however,  believes that issue will be put to rest this year. “We knew last year would be a big learning experience.  It will pay off this season for us,” he said.

The Gaels will start off this season with a trip to Annapolis, Md. to take place in the Navy Labor Day Open.  Iona’s first match will take place against the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame on Sept. 3.

Iona’s first match at home will be on Saturday, September 24th with a doubleheader against Harvard and MIT.