Rowing looks to finish season strong

With the start of spring, crew season has restarted for the Gaels. The crew season started for the Gaels in the Sacred Heart Invitational two weeks ago.

Highlighted by a second place finish in the men’s varsity eight+ that was made up of junior coxswain Chrisanne Karcich, senior Ryan Rourke, senior Kyle Daly, sophomore Ernest Stinebrickner, sophomore Evan Johnson, sophomore Derek Krautkremer, sophomore Greg Badura, freshman Nick Bortells and sophomore Rich Buchheit, the Gaels look to have a strong spring.

The MAAC Championships are coming up at the end of April, but there is optimism for the championships according to varsity rower Krautkremer.

“As a young team, we are training hard everyday to hopefully catch Marist and bring Iona its first MAAC Championship,” said Krautkremer.

Because Marist has won the tournament in all but one year that the MAAC tournament has existed, it will be a challenge. But Badura is optimistic about the team.

“We are in the process of learning this sport still and come to practice everyday with intensity and a desire to get better everyday,” said Badura.

Considering that this team is relatively young, (six of the eight varsity rowers are sophomores) Krautkremer and Badura both think that the team has been able to work together well as a unit and have made some strong strides in the right direction.

Following the MAAC Championships, the Gaels will compete in the Dad Vail Regatta in May, which will close out the season.

Krautkremer also said that he hopes that the team can win more races before the team’s two seniors graduate. Closing out the season may be hard, but Badura said it best.

“It is a long season and we have to keep focus on our goals and support each other throughout the entire season,” said Badura.

If the Gaels do that, they can certainly close out the year in a winning fashion.