Iona and New Rochelle community discuss debate, election issues

Julie Donato Editor-In-Chief

On Oct. 22, Iona College hosted a presidential debate watch party in the Christopher J. Murphy Auditorium along with pre and post debate panel discussions with public officials, professors and students of the college. This debate watch party was part of The 2012 Westchester Presidential Debate Watch Series that followed all of the debates between Governor Romney and President Obama.

Members of the panel included Jared Rice, Councilman of the City of New Rochelle, Joe McLaughlin, Candidate for US Congress, District 17, Chair and Professor of Political Science Tricia Mulligan, Republican Political Analyst for News 12 Tony Sayegh, Assistant Professor of Political Science & International Studies Mary Hagerty, Ionian News Editor Amanda Kelly (’13) and student Bridget McBrien (’13).

Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs Tresmaine Grimes began the evening by welcoming the attendees- a mix of students, college faculty members, and local residents. Grimes introduced Mayor of New Rochelle Noam Bramson, who said, “Beyond being fun, these gatherings have tremendous importance… the opportunity to listen to and react to different views is exciting.”

Grimes then handed the floor over to the panel moderator, Executive Director of New Rochelle Municipal Housing Authority and Westchester Presidential Debate Watch Party Series Co-Chair Steven Horton. Horton expressed his excitement at moderating the event and said, “The only way a democracy can be successful is when the citizens are informed and involved in the issues.”

After brief introductions, Horton addressed the panel with several questions that covered education, foreign policy and job creation. The panelists expressed a wide range of views on these subjects and were met with claps and cheers from an enthusiastic crowd.

Students and community members were then permitted to ask questions of the panel, and the subjects covered included third party candidates, minority status and the subject of diversity in the college admission process, jobs, employment and suggestions for solutions to partisan problems.

At the close of the pre-debate panel, Founder and Co-Chair of the Westchester Presidential Debate Watch Party Series Kenneth Plummer congratulated attendees for coming together to engage in the democratic exchange of ideas.

The third and final presidential debate was then shown in the auditorium, with energetic reactions from the audience. There was clapping for both candidates throughout the debate and much laughter at the President’s “the 1980s want their foreign policy back” and “horses and bayonets” remarks.

Following the debate, members of the panel returned to address more audience questions to wrap up the spirited evening. The positive reactions from attendees were mirrored by the panelists.

“This was a great event that served multiple purposes: to educate and energize,” said Sayegh. “The shared experience helps… people to feel more connected with each other and with the political process.”

“I was happy to see so many students and community members,” said Rice. “I hope everyone here was inspired to exercise their right to vote.”