Gaels in MAAC tourney

Sophomore Sam Fiorenzo gets position in MAAC play.

Alex Grasso Staff Writer

The Iona College women’s soccer team played against MAAC leader Marist on Oct. 14 with a 1-0 loss for the lady Gaels.

In the 23rd minute, Marist’s Amanda Epstein scored when the Iona defense sidetracked the ball into the goal.

The only shot on goal for Iona was by sophomore forward Melissa Frederick.

In the game, junior goalkeeper Trista Rivera made eight saves, compared to Andrea Wicks’ one save for Marist.

Iona College finished the loss with only five total shots in the game, while Marist had 17.

On Oct. 20 the lady Gaels dropped a 4-0 loss to Fairfield at Mazzella Field.

In the first two minutes Shannon Fay scored for the Stags.

Adding two more points to the contest, Kasey Schulz and Stephanie Sutherby both scored for Fairfield, giving them a 4-0 lead.

Rivera made one stop in the game, and Fairfield goalkeeper Kathleen Early made two saves by senior Leah Taylor and sophomore Samantha Fiorenzo.

The Gaels then played Manhattan on Oct. 26 and came out strong with a 1-0 win, inching their spot in the MAAC Tournament.

Senior Laura Jackson scored the only goal in the game to give the lady Gaels another win.

The Gaels move to 6-3-2 overall and 4-3-1 in MAAC play, just three points behind Rider.

“The MAAC Championship is definitely on everyone’s mind on the team and we are definitely in a good spot to make it in this year,” said sophomore Sali Ayinde. “We have been working so hard this season and every time we step on the field it is apparent that we are fighting to reach that goal of making the MAAC Championship tournament.”

Iona did just that on Sunday with a 2-0 victory over St. Peter’s to solidify a spot in the MAAC tournament, along with Loyola, Siena and Rider. The Gaels will look to win their first conference title since 1992 on Nov. 2 and 4 in Poughkeepsie, New York at the MAAC Championships.