Dean’s search winds down

Amanda Kelly News Editor

Iona’s largest academic division is in the midst of choosing a new Dean, not that many students seem to be aware.

Despite the emails sent out to the entire community, when randomly asked whether or not they were aware of the search for the Dean of the School of Arts and Science, many students had no idea that the school was engaged in a national search for the Dean.

The search began this summer, but follows last year’s data scandal that, after the resignation of former Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, led to the instatement of then Dean of the School of Arts and Science Brian Nickerson as Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Jeanne Zaino as Interim Dean of the School of Arts and Science.

“I wasn’t really aware of the Dean’s search,” said junior speech pathology major Jenna Nicotina, explaining that although she may have received the emails, it’s not something that she thinks will really affect her.

Charles Cante, Associate Dean of the Hagan School of Business and chair of the search committee for the Dean of the School of Arts and Science, understands why students like Nicotina are not interested in the search.

“Students don’t often think about the importance of the Dean in shaping what a student will look like when he or she graduates,” Cante said. “[Students] are worrying about ‘how am I going to pay my tuition?’ ‘How am I going to get everything done?’”

Yet, Cante explained, the Dean is integral part of a student’s college education.

In effect, the Dean is responsible for preparing students for life after graduation through the understanding of the current environment in different fields and ensuring that a degree from Iona will be enough to compete in the job market.

“In reality, you’re going to be whatever you bring to the party or whatever the school brings to the party, so it’s very important who the leader is in order to prepare you for whatever filed of business of education you go into,” Cante said.

So, after 55 applications, the Dean’s search committee has narrowed the list down to the top four and is in the process of bringing the candidates to campus to meet with the college administration and to address the entire Iona community.

“What you’re looking for is their fit with the culture and with the leadership,” Cante said of the candidates’ campus visits. “Chemistry is very important.”

The college welcomed Peter Nwosu, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs at Tennessee State University, on Friday and will welcome Edward Jarroll, most recently the Dean of Natural and Social Sciences at Lehman College, CUNY, on Monday, Nov. 19 and Sibdas Ghosh, most recently the Associate Dean of the School of Health and Natural Sciences at Dominican University of California on Wednesday, Nov. 28.

As additional visit dates are confirmed, they will be shared with the community via email.

Cante said that the Dean’s search committee hopes to have an offer extended and accepted before the winter holidays and for the permanent Dean of Arts and Science to begin at the start of the spring semester.