Sledge gets cleared by NCAA

Andrew Jordan Assistant Sports Editor

Sophomore Tavon Sledge got his waiver approved on Oct. 25, which will allow him to play basketball for the Gaels this upcoming 2012-13 season.

Sledge joins the Gaels after playing for Iowa State last year. The former Cyclone played sparingly during his freshman year, but decided to take his talents to New Rochelle in order to stay close to his ailing father.

While at Iowa State, Sledge registered one point per game during eight games, while also averaging 2.3 minutes of action per game.

After hearing of his clearance, Tavon told ICGaels.com “I’m grateful for the opportunity that I have been blessed to not only be able to play this year, but to be able to earn my degree a year earlier.”

Coach Tim Cluess was also happy of the NCAA’s approval of Sledge’s waiver, telling ICGaels.com, “I commend my staff and our compliance administrators once again in their tireless effort and assistance in preparing the waiver for Tavon.”

Sledge comes to Iona with three years of eligibility remaining.

Sledge played for Half Hallows Hills West High School, where he helped lead the team to the NYSPHSAA Class AA championship game. Sledge was also named co-MVP of that squad alongside current Milwaukee Buck Tobias Harris.

Following his senior year of high school, Sledge was named All-New York City First Team by NYHoops.com and was ranked as the 79th best player in the Class of 2011 by Hoopscoop.com.

Sledge was a two-time All-State, All-Long Island and All-Conference recipient with Hills West.

With the addition of Sledge, the Gaels will have even more depth to an explosive backcourt that contains senior Lamont “Momo” Jones and junior Sean Armand.

Following consecutive 25-win seasons, Iona will have nine new players take the floor this season. Outside of Armand and Jones, the only two returning players for the Gaels this season are seniors Taaj Ridley and Nyandigisi Moikobu.

Sledge and the other eight newcomers will play in their first game for the Gaels on Nov. 9 at the Hynes Athletic Center against Denver.