Women’s basketball begins promising season

Ian Sacks Staff Writer

The Iona women’s basketball team has been waiting eight months for the season to begin, and it is finally underway.

The Gaels finished last season with an overall record of 13-18 and were 8-10 in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, in seventh place. They look to bounce back this season.

The Maroon & Gold were picked eighth in the MAAC Preseason Coaches’ Poll. Seven-time defending MAAC Champion Marist was picked first unanimously.

Iona (2-0) will be led by sophomore guard Damika Martinez, the reigning MAAC Rookie of the Year. She led the Gaels in scoring last season, averaging 16.0 points per game. Martinez is the lone sophomore on the MAAC Preseason First Team.

Joining Martinez in the backcourt is fellow sophomore Aleesha Powell. She was named to the MAAC Preseason Third Team. Powell, who averaged 8.4 points per game last season, earned a spot on the All-MAAC Rookie Team.

The Gaels feature lots of new faces this year as the team has seven freshmen.

“We are so young,” Head Coach Anthony Bozzella said. “We can be a really good team, but it’s going to take a little bit of time.”

Iona has a tough schedule this season. Marist is always a formidable team. The Red Foxes have compiled a 137-9 record in conference play over the last seven seasons. The Gaels travel to Marist on Jan. 13 and host the Red Foxes on Feb. 7.

The Maroon & Gold have scheduled a difficult non-conference schedule, highlighted by their game at Duke on Nov. 18.

The Blue Devils are currently ranked number three in the country. Duke has made the Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament each of the past three seasons.

The Gaels follow this game up with a trip to St. John’s, one of the top teams in the Big East. The Red Storm is ranked No. 13 nationally in the USA Today Coaches Poll.

Iona began the 2012-2013 campaign on Nov. 9, when they hosted Navy, the two-time defending Patriot League Champions.

The Gaels led by one point at halftime. Midway through the second half, Iona extended its lead to 10 by playing good defense and only giving up six points in the first 10 minutes of the second half. The Maroon & Gold went on to defeat the Midshipmen, 74-64.

“Our defense is key,” redshirt junior captain Haley D’Angelo said. “It’s what kept us in the game.”

Martinez led all scorers with 26 points and eight rebounds. Powell posted 14 points, six rebounds and four assists.

The Gaels traveled to Long Beach State on Nov. 11 and won 60-58.

The Maroon & Gold had an 11-point lead late in the first half, and the 49ers battled back to tie the game in the second half. With the score tied at 58, freshman forward Joy Adams grabbed an offensive rebound and laid it in as time expired.

Adams amassed a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Martinez added a game-high 22 points and seven rebounds.

The Maroon & Gold return to the Hynes Athletics Center on Wednesday, Dec. 5, when they host Bryant at 7 p.m.

“The key to success is to stay as consistent as possible,” Bozzella said.