Volleyball powers up

Harvey Garcia Staff Writer

While most of the campus had none, Gaels Volleyball seemed to have gained power as they dominated at home, winning three straight games after two games were cancelled due to the destruction of Hurricane Sandy.

Iona came out strong in their rescheduled game vs. Rider. They claim their first victory since Oct. 3 against Hofstra University as they defeated ninth-place Rider in three straight sets (25-18, 25-9, 25-14.)

Freshman setter Natalie Ziskin led the way with 39 assists. Junior outside hitter Alicja Pawelec recorded 11 kills and 13 points, alongside Sophomore outside hitter Katie Marabella who recorded 12 kills and 15 points as they led with Ziskin in the winning effort against Rider.

The Maroon & Gold, knowing they will need at least a great ending at home to cap off their season, never slowed down since their victory over Rider.

Playoff-bound, third place Canisius came for a visit. After losing 2 of the first-three sets, Iona prevailed and claimed the last two sets to defeat third place Canisius (26-24, 21-25, 14-25, 25-19, 18-16).

Warren recorded 15 kills and 10 digs combining efforts with Pawelec, 25 kills and 15 digs. Warren and Pawelec led the Gaels with 46.5 points combined to defeat Canisius. Sophomore setter Caris Myles joined in with 35 assists, who finished as the season leader with 757.

The Gaels came into their final game of the season with a home record of 7-2 against playoff-bound Niagra.

The Maroon & Gold defeated Niagra in 4 sets (19-25, 25-23, 28-26, 18-16) to close out their season. Myles led the team with 40 assists and 18 digs with assistance of Warren, 10 kills, 10 digs and 16 points. With her 12 kills, 15 digs and 15 points, junior outside hitter Madisyn Spence supported the team as they claimed victory in their season finale.

“I am so proud of how our team played during the last three matches,” said Coach Jonathan Killingbeck. “To be able to sweep Rider and then beat two playoff bound teams, was great way to finish off the season.”

Iona Volleyball finished their season in seventh place with an overall 10-19 record (7-10 in the MAAC Conference). Being away or at a neutral location did not fair well with them as they concluded with a 2-17 record away from home. However, at home, they concluded with a 8-2 record.

“[The] team had 10 conference losses but 6 of them were in game 5’s, which is our version of overtime,” said Coach Killingbeck discussing flaws that will need tuning for next season. “So as we move forward we have to work on being able to execute our skills under pressure situations. We are also going to be focused on speeding up our offense and making our blocking better.”

Coach Killingbeck expects to make the MAAC Conference playoffs next season.