Students urged to take precautions in wake of flu outbreak

As the new semester gets underway, students have high hopes for the spring term; it is likely “contracting the flu” is not one of them.

Yet, with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) predicting this year’s flu season to be one of the worst the nation has seen in 10 years, a college campus – where students live, work, eat and sleep in close quarters – is far from the ideal location for those longing to avoid the spread of germs, illnesses and, in this case, the flu virus.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo declared a public health emergency on Jan. 12 in response to the nationwide flu epidemic, which has seen widespread flu levels in 47 out of the 50 states. In New York alone, there have been over 19,000 reported cases compared to the usual 4,000 cases.

Jacqueline Agnello-Vasquez, FNP and director of health services at Iona, verified that there have been no confirmed cases of the flu or flu-like illnesses on campus.

Not to say the Iona community is out of the woods yet.

“The number one thing is to get vaccinated,” said Agnello-Vasquez. Some may say it’s not worth it now, but the flu season doesn’t end until February. “It’s not too late” according to Agnello-Vasquez.

Part of the state of public health emergency allows pharmacies to give out vaccines more easily. But some students give other reasons for not getting a flu shot.

Amber Cardova, freshman, said she did not get a flu shot because “Some people don’t react well to it.” This concern is shared by others; however, the CDC says, “Almost all people who receive influenza vaccine have no serious problems from it.”

Iona is doing some things to help prevent a widespread outbreak here. “Iona started preparations in 2009 when we had the swine flu, and we initiated hand sanitizers across the college community at each entrance hall and in the library at different locations…that has prevented the spread of not only flu but other illnesses as well” said Agnello-Vasquez.

She also did a presentation for students about preventing flu, and Resident Assistants will be given information regarding the epidemic to distribute to resident students in order to keep them safe and informed.

“Residential Life had the RAs distribute information, in the form of various fliers, regarding the flu and ways to prevent it, with the emphasis on vaccinations,” said Peter Vitale, junior and Conese RA. “As the Science Floor RA, I will be giving my residents more details about the flu than they probably want,” he joked.

With students living in such close quarters in the residence halls, the spread of illness is always a concern. Miranda Kriss, a sophomore, said “Yeah, if someone gets it, everyone is going to get it.”

Vitale said, “RAs, and the professional staff members of Res Life do their best to encourage good habits.”

Disinfecting is very important.

“Hand washing seems very lame,” said Agnello-Vasquez, but she explained that it is through touching surfaces that have the virus on it that flu is most often spread. The flu virus can live on surfaces for up to eight hours, according to the CDC. Another aspect to this is to avoid touching the eye, nose, and mouth area. “That gives [the virus] an opening” said Agnello-Vasquez. Touching these areas allows the virus to get into the system.

“Avoid those who are sick” said Agnello-Vasquez. Admittedly, this can be hard if a roommate, or someone else near enough to be unavoidable, is sick, but do so when possible.

Other advice is to eat healthy and get enough sleep. “Most of this is common sense” said Agnello-Vasquez. When asked what she was doing to prevent getting sick, Michele Muzzio, a sophomore said, “I started taking vitamins.” Kriss said “My suitemate’s mom got us individual hand towels.”

It’s not all doom and gloom and how to save yourself, though. Agnello-Vasquez said, “Students, for the most part, have healthy immune systems.” Those who are at a higher risk are those over 65, very young children, or people with chronic respiratory issues like asthma. Most students will be fine, but those people that fall in the high risk categories should especially get vaccinated.