Softball struggles in Carolina Classic

Alex Grasso Staff Writer

The Iona College Softball team played their first game at the 2013 Carolina Classic against George Washington and came up with a 5-1 victory.

With the Gaels down by one in the fifth, the Gaels scored three runs, starting with freshman Sarah Schutz. Schutz walked before sophomore Brianna Schauer singled to right, moving Schutz to third. Sophomore Carly Argyle then walked, loading the bases. After two batters, sophomore Allison Hand walked, scoring in a run. Driving in Schauer and Argyle, senior Eileen McCann hit a two run double to center field.

Soon after, Argyle drove in freshman Christine Costello with a double to left center.

Argyle recorded the win for Iona. She allowed five hits, struck out six batters and had one earned run. Colonels pitcher Courtney Martin allowed four runs, seven hits and three earned.

“Against George Washington, after giving up a run in the first inning, Carly Argyle really settled into the game and only gave up one hit the rest of the way,” head coach Melissa Inouye said. “Our defense stayed strong and worked out of several jams to preserve the win.”

The Gaels then dropped to Iowa State 11-1.

Iowa State scored in all five innings, but Iona got on the board in the top of the second on a home run by Argyle.

Freshman Jordan Courage took the loss for Iona, allowing four runs, four hits and two earned in two innings. Cyclones’ Smith allowed one run on two hits and a walk while striking out two.

In the last game of the Carolina Classic, Iona lost 6-2 against the North Carolina Tar Heels.

In the bottom of the first, North Carolina scored three runs.

In the top of the third, McCann hit a solo home run, before the Tar Heels answered back with two runs in the bottom of the inning. Constance Orr hit a two run home run and in the bottom of the fourth. Page Williams hit a solo home run to center.

“We were one to two hits away from tying the game, if not taking the lead,” Inouye said. “We left too many runners on base and didn’t capitalize on our scoring opportunities.”

Costello allowed six runs and nine hits over six innings in the loss. Tar Heel’s Ashley Bone had two strikeouts and gave up five hits in two innings.

The Maroon & Gold look to improve in non-conference play on March 12, when they travel to California to take on San Diego and San Diego State.