Spring Weekend sees budget cuts

Amanda Kelly News Editor

Get ready to party like it’s 1995.This year’s Spring Weekend will feature an ‘80s and ‘90s throwback party in addition to Spring Weekend staples such as Gael Jam and Gael Guts.

Yet, students will undoubtedly notice that Spring Weekend is missing a common feature: a headlining performer.

“We have a four percent budget cut and due to the unforeseen circumstances of the first semester, such as Hurricane Sandy, when we actually sat down and started planning Spring Weekend, it would have been too late to have come up with the big concert that everyone was hoping for,” said Chair of the Gaels Activities Board (GAB) junior Matt Harrigan.

Instead, GAB, in addition to the Office of Mission and Ministry, the Council for Greek Governance, the Student Government Association, the Iona Council of the Arts, the Inter-Residence Council, the Office of Residential Life and the Office of Student Development, formed a committee to create an “overall student body experience,” Assistant Director of Student Development Christina Sutphen said.

The ‘80s and ‘90s party will take place Friday, April 26 at 9 p.m. in Mulcahy Gym free of charge for students and will feature a video DJ who will be playing remixes of popular ‘80s and ‘90s songs.

“We’ll also have a video game station set up for people like me who may not be into dancing,” Harrigan said.

There will also be snapback hats available for purchase for $3 that can be personalized by a graffiti artist who has been contracted for the event. All proceeds from the hats will go towards Hurricane Sandy relief through Senior Director of the Office of Student Success Br. J. Kevin Devlin.

On Saturday, the college will host the second annual Gael Jam featuring Heritage Fest. Students will be performing as well as the bands Unspoken, a Christian rock band, and Filmore, a country music band.

In addition to live musical performances, Gael Jam will have a Euro Bungee Jump, a mechanical bull, caricature artists, a photo booth and stuff-a-bears with shirts that read “Killian It to the Max,” which is the official phrase of the weekend.

Following Gael Jam, the Skits O’Frenicks will be hosting the “Spring Fever Ruckus” followed by a screening of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.”

IRC’s annual Gael Guts will take place on Sunday as students compete against each other for the coveted title of “Gael Guts Champions.”

“I’ve been excited by the student reaction to this year’s Spring Weekend events,” Sutphen said. “I think that they’re looking for something different and that’s what this committee was able to do.”

Still, Harrigan hopes that the usual Spring Weekend concert is something that can be brought back for the future, though that depends on whether or not the budget will be there to do so.

“It all depends on the moves of the college in order for us to determine whether or not we can have a performer, so we won’t know until next year,” said Harrigan. “If we go get an overwhelming response to this year’s Spring Weekend format, this would be something that we could continue to do next year.”