Softball earns crucial wins during key stretch of season

Alex Grasso Staff Writer

After losing seven of their last nine games, all on the road, the Iona College Softball team returned to New Rochelle to face Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opponents, Canisius and Niagara

The Gaels opened up a two-game series against the Golden Griffins April 27. Canisius took a 2-0 lead in the third inning after sophomore Robin Kennery single up the middle.

Iona cut the deficit to a one-run game in the fourth when junior Katie Jansson scored on a passed ball. The Gaels tied the game the following inning after senior Beth Kann reached home on an error. Both teams weren’t able to score again, sending the game into extra innings.

In the bottom half of the ninth, senior outfielder Jodi Petersen hit the game winning home run to left field.

Sophomore Carly Argyle pitched a complete game allowing seven hits and striking out five batters.

The Maroon & Gold carried the momentum into game two, where they defeated Canisius 8-1.

Sophomore infielder Allison Hand got the Gaels on the scoreboard in the first inning, singling to left field scoring Petersen. Iona added four more runs in the third inning, with an RBI from Hand, sophomore Carly Argyle and two RBIs from freshman Brianna King after singling up the middle.

Canisius’ lone run came in the fourth inning when freshman outfielder Tori Nappo singled up the middle to score freshman Bethany DeMarco.

Jansson brought in Kann in the fourth inning on a ground-rule double to left field. Iona added two more insurance runs, when Argyle singled to center to solidify the victory.

Argyle pitched another complete game, allowing six hits and striking out one.

On April 28 the Gaels opened up a two-game series against the Niagara Purple Eagles. In game one Iona had a difficult time hitting, only compiling three hits.

The Purple Eagles scored two runs, which was enough to defeat the Gaels.

In game two extra innings were needed for Iona to defeat Niagara 4-3. Niagara scored their three runs in the first two innings and were able only able to compile three more hits the entire game due to another astonishing pitching performance by Argyle.

A single to right by sophomore Brianna Schauer put the Gaels on the board in the third inning. In the fourth inning home runs by Jansson and Argyle tied the game.

In extras Kann hit a home run to center field on a 3-2 pitch, to help the Gaels improve to 8-6 in conference play.

The victories have propelled the Gaels to fourth place with their last conference series starting May 4 against the St. Peter’s Peacocks.

“We control our own destiny and we will compete hard to defend our title,” head coach Melissa Inouye said.