Junior Joe Torres: a Brooklyn baller

Ian Sacks Assistant Sports Editor

Passionate. Dedicated. A true competitor.

These are three characteristics that junior centerfielder Joe Torres used to describe himself. These descriptions are accurate.

Torres always dreamed about playing Division I baseball, and when he took the field on Feb. 19, 2011, in Spartanburg, S.C., wearing an Iona uniform, that dream became a reality.

During his opening weekend three-game series, he went 8-for-15, drove in three runs and scored two runs. In one game, he posted a career-high five hits. This outstanding start to his collegiate career earned him the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Rookie of the Week Award.

“As an individual, my favorite moment playing for Iona would be my first weekend of my freshman year. Stepping on that field for the first time as a college player felt amazing,” Torres said. “It felt really good to achieve this goal, and it’s something I will remember for the rest of my life.”

Torres, a native of Brooklyn, has poured his heart and soul into the Iona Baseball program. He has played in all but one game over the course of his three years with the Maroon & Gold and has started in all but one of these contests.

J.T., as he is known to his teammates, plays with such energy and excitement that his fellow Gaels try to learn from his example.

“He’s a focused, hardworking player that gives it 100 percent when he steps on the field,” fellow junior outfielder Joe Smith said. “He provides the guys with an example of how to practice and how to play.”

Torres, known for his speed, has had much success on the base paths. Over the course of his three seasons, he has swiped 57 bases and posts a 78 percent success rate on base stealing attempts. This season, he has stolen 21 bases and has only been caught three times, which yields a success rate of 88 percent.

In addition to his prowess on the base paths, Torres’ defense in centerfield is exceptional.

“Joe is probably the best centerfielder in our conference and in the northeast,” head coach Pat Carey said. “He makes plays in center look easy that other centerfielders just don’t make.”

At the plate, Torres is a .271 career hitter, and has posted a .279 batting average this season. He recorded a career-best .287 batting average in his freshman year. His career on-base percentage is .360.

Aside from dominating on the diamond, Torres represents the baseball team on the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC). The SAAC is an organization of student-athletes that works together with the athletics department to enhance their experience. The committee also organizes community service activities.

Torres has bright plans for the future. In his final season with the Gaels, he hopes to lead the program to the MAAC playoffs.

“Making the MAAC playoffs will be a huge step for this program, and I hope to be a part of that,” he said. “Once we make the playoffs, I would love to win the MAAC championship.”

After his playing days with the Maroon & Gold come to an end, Torres hopes to continue playing baseball. He also wishes to teach and to coach the game that he loves. Furthermore, Torres plans on attending law school and becoming a lawyer.

“I will say that whatever Joe does, he will be successful at,” Carey said. “I only expect the best out of Joe.”