Volleyball’s Warren recovers

Ian Sacks Assistant Sports Editor

Being sidelined with an injury can be a challenging and discouraging endeavor. For junior middle blocker Catrina Warren, of the Iona volleyball team a stress fracture in her leg resulted in added motivation to be out on the court. Warren, who was sidelined five matches last year with this injury, is back this year with a vengeance.

The Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. native, has posted 91 kills in nine matches this season. This comes to an average of 10.1 kills per match and 3.0 kills per set in 30 sets.

“[The injury has] made me a stronger person,” Warren said. “I have to give it my all because I lost half a season last year. I think it was helpful.”

Warren has received numerous recognitions from the coaches around the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC). She was named to the All-MAAC Second Team a year ago and the All-MAAC Rookie Team as a freshman. She has been honored with a Preseason All-MAAC nod twice. She also made the MAAC All-Academic Team.

As a freshman, she led the MAAC in blocking with an average of 1.06 blocks per set. She recorded an Iona-best hitting percentage with a mark of .314, which was third best in the MAAC, while appearing in all 94 sets.

As a sophomore, though plagued by injury, Warren did not disappoint. She led the Maroon & Gold with an average of 3.85 points per set, which was the fifth best average in the MAAC. She compiled a .316 hitting percentage, good for fourth in the conference, and 284 kills.

Though her numbers alone are impressive, Warren brings so much more to the team. Her positive approach and upbeat personality make her an exceptional teammate.

“She never gives up and always gives it her all,” junior setter Caris Miles said. “She is always very positive and is always encouraging of people.”

Miles and Warren were high school teammates at Los Osos High School in Rancho Cucamonga. The two teamed up in both volleyball and basketball.

Warren’s favorite moment as a Gael was when the team knocked off future MAAC Champion Fairfield in three sets (25-22, 25-15, 25-21) last season. She amassed eight kills.

Warren is the consummate teammate. She will do whatever it takes to make the team successful.

“Catrina has that will to do whatever it takes to win; if that’s to dive across the floor to keep the ball up, to push a teammate, to help a teammate, to do anything, everything,” head coach Jon Killingbeck said. “That’s what makes her so special.”